• Advise regarding yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suggestions for 1st NEIPA

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

JTMace

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. Just started getting back into craft brewing having had 5 or 6 years off. Wow things have changed. Infact, it is the developments in American IPAs and NEIPAs that have inspired me. Looking to have a go at a NEIPA this weekend. I have a good selection of grain for the job but only have 05, Nottingham ale strain and Mangrove Jack M44 yeast. Anyone out there think it is worth giving one of these yeasts a go? Cheers all, John ( in rainy COVID stricken England).

Well well well welcome back to the fold fellow periodical Brewers son ha ha!
I know @BOB357 uses M44 west coast yeast a bit but he's old school ha ha ah the glue that holds the Brewers together aye;).

I've not brewed a NEIPA intentionally but my hoppy blond ain't far off I reckon it's hazy as all get out!
Others more familiar with the intricate newances of the style I'm sure will help you to craft your recipie.

If you can share your recipie that will be a great start cheers.

Well well well welcome back to the fold fellow periodical Brewers son ha ha!
I know @BOB357 uses M44 west coast yeast a bit but he's old school ha ha ah the glue that holds the Brewers together aye;).

I've not brewed a NEIPA intentionally but my hoppy blond ain't far off I reckon it's hazy as all get out!
Others more familiar with the intricate newances of the style I'm sure will help you to craft your recipie.

If you can share your recipie that will be a great start cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Trialben, thanks for the welcome.
Recipe wise I was thinking along the lines of:-
3kg Maris Otter PM
2.5kg Clear Choice PM
200g Dextrin Malt
300g Wheat Malt
500g Carapils???
300g Malted Naked Oats
Still not worked out my hop schedule

Hi Trialben, thanks for the welcome.
Recipe wise I was thinking along the lines of:-
3kg Maris Otter PM
2.5kg Clear Choice PM
200g Dextrin Malt
300g Wheat Malt
500g Carapils???
300g Malted Naked Oats
Still not worked out my hop schedule
Sweet I'd go your base grain and go heavy on the oats like a kg:).
But like I said no NEIPA brewed here...

Most NEIPA as I understand it basically does all the hops at the end of the boil. So hit it with a bunch at flame out, then dry hop it.

But same as Ben, I've never really tried to make one.

Thanks for the shout out Megary!
I am going to find a couple recent threads on the subject and paste links here in a moment, hold please!

Welcome to BF JT!

The yeast doesn't really contribute much to the haziness, US-05 would be a good choice. The others may be as well, I just haven't used them. There others who make hazy's here as well. Fire away if you have any questions.

Welcome to BF JT!

The yeast doesn't really contribute much to the haziness, US-05 would be a good choice. The others may be as well, I just haven't used them. There others who make hazy's here as well. Fire away if you have any questions.
Thank you very much for your replies. Yeast wise I’m thinking of going with one of the “funky” Norwegian multi strains. I think I might need to tinker with my kit 1st, in which case I will probably give 05 a try ( I’ve used it before and I do like it).

Thank you very much for your replies. Yeast wise I’m thinking of going with one of the “funky” Norwegian multi strains. I think I might need to tinker with my kit 1st, in which case I will probably give 05 a try ( I’ve used it before and I do like it).
You're welcome, I love 05, great yeast, very consistent

Well, my NEIPA is in the fermenter and the yeast appears very happy with a nice krausen. Soon I will be adding my 1st dry hop addition; I was going to stick my pellets in a hop bag and dump it on the top.....this might sound like a silly question but should I poke it thought he yeast layer or allow it to sink???

Well, my NEIPA is in the fermenter and the yeast appears very happy with a nice krausen. Soon I will be adding my 1st dry hop addition; I was going to stick my pellets in a hop bag and dump it on the top.....this might sound like a silly question but should I poke it thought he yeast layer or allow it to sink???
I know those that use a hop bag weigh it down so it submerges the hops.

I like to throw them in loose.

I know those that use a hop bag weigh it down so it submerges the hops.

I like to throw them in loose.
Yes, I did consider that, was a little worried about not managing to separate the
dregs out, especially as I don’t intend to use a secondary fermentor with it being an NEIPA.

I throw mine in loose, if you are at high krausen, now is the time!

Just jumping in here as my next brew is an Oat NEIPA. On the dry hopping front, I am a fan of '"just chuck 'em in". But, what are your thoughts on the hops being in there too long?
They'll be in there for 12 days or more. Usual thoughts are 3 days to avoid the grassy taste. I have left an aroma steep hop addition in for the whole fermentation period before with no ill effects, but just wondering what you all think.

If you use a Kveik yeast fermentation will be quick, you could be packaging after 6-8 days. It starts fast and krausen drops quick, first dry addition within 24 hours, second addition 24 hours later. Therefore the hops are not sitting in the beer so long.

Back