Flavour Stability in Homebrewing

The Beerery

Trial Member
Reaction score
Interesting read.

This is pushing me to keep going with the spunding part of my process. Next time hopefully without the explosions of beer into the ferm chamber by not paying enough attention to the spunding valve.

Also on the oxidative metal ions created in mashing I've started adding a small amount of hops at the start of the mash based on this - https://books.google.com.au/books?i...=onepage&q=mash hops oxidative metals&f=false

And on the experimental notes, I'll be trying the annual mixed ferment berliner weisse style beer with the no boil option this year.

Hops contain manganese, which is a Fenton reator. Which is why when coupled with oats (tons of mangnese), NEIPA's are hyper oxidation prone. You grain is going to be bringing the most oxidative prone ions to the party. I guess, I'm not sure thats helping you in any way, and could be hurting you. BTB is easier, and known effective.

Unfortunately, BrewTan B does not chelate out manganese. It's a notoriously hard ion to remove out of the brewing process.

Back