Violets in beer

Reaction score
HI all

My partner loves violets so I am considering a violet flavour beer. Has anyone ever used them? I can't find any mention of them on the recipes area.

She doesn't like sweet tasting violet, so I'm reluctant to use violet sweets, palma violets or syrup - I was considering using dried violet flowers... I wondered if anyone might have any advice a to what style of beer, and quantities for one gallon?

Thanks

Jonny

Hi Jonny, Very interesting idea. I've not heard of it nor have experience with it.
That being said, if I were trying the same.. I would lean toward making a syrup with the violet flowers, sugar and a minute amount of water, boil it hard to temp. of 222 deg. F then let it cool. I would then add this to the fermenter as a syrup. The yeast would eat the sugars anyway, so the syrup wouldn't add any sweetness to the final product... only an essence of the violets.
the quantities are just a guess, but I do make syrups from many herbs... so an educated guess.
I would use 4 oz (1/2 cup) of violets to 6 oz sugar and 1.5 - 2 oz water in the boil. then add all of this once it is cooled. it could be made in advance, but stored in a sealed glass container.

I lean toward adding them to the fermenter as that would maintain the most aroma/flavor of the flower.

I have not used violets so I don't have a good grasp of how many/much of them gives a detectable essence.

edit.. to include, I would stick to just a very pale ale, no special grains, just a simple pilsner or pale base. to allow the flowers to have a chance to shine through.

good luck, would be interested to know how it comes out.

I'm not familiar with violet as a flavor but I'd guess it's fairly subtle. How about a Wheat beer to showcase the flavor? American Wheat, with a very low level of hop flavor, should be a good place to start.

Simple Kolsch or Steam Lager would be my choice. I'd use a small addition of Amarillo at 60 minutes and then whirlpool at relatively low temp with dried flowers and a little more Amarillo. Then "dry-hop" with more dried flowers (sterilized in vodka).
The small additions of Amarillo should support the general "beeriness" in the flavor profile and give a boost to the floral components added by the violets. If you managed a strong hint of floral/violet on the nose without a potpourri "soapy" aftertaste in the flavor, it would be a winner. :)

Simple Kolsch or Steam Lager would be my choice. I'd use a small addition of Amarillo at 60 minutes and then whirlpool at relatively low temp with dried flowers and a little more Amarillo. Then "dry-hop" with more dried flowers (sterilized in vodka).
The small additions of Amarillo should support the general "beeriness" in the flavor profile and give a boost to the floral components added by the violets. If you managed a strong hint of floral/violet on the nose without a potpourri "soapy" aftertaste in the flavor, it would be a winner. :)
Thanks, I like this. I would imagine the flowers might float around a bit so I assume I'd need to strain the beer before bottling?

Thanks, I like this. I would imagine the flowers might float around a bit so I assume I'd need to strain the beer before bottling?
Same as dry-hopping with whole cone hops (they're actually flowers, also). Every thing will soak up liquid and sink to the bottom. You'll need to exercise a little care when racking but shouldn't be an issue.

Back