German ipa

Quick google on Monroe gave me this - full of red aromas. In the nose, there are wonderful raspberry notes supplimented with orange syrup and added to this in the taste is the sweet taste that reminds one of summer and cherries.

Sounds interesting and an update when you're finished will be appreciated.

Quick google on Monroe gave me this - full of red aromas. In the nose, there are wonderful raspberry notes supplimented with orange syrup and added to this in the taste is the sweet taste that reminds one of summer and cherries.

Sounds interesting and an update when you're finished will be appreciated.

never used it but that’s was intrigued me. Pushed the 2 oz I had to dry hop to see what I’d get.

He'll yeah! When I saw the title I though what the German IPA makes total sence after looking at recipie.

Getting ready to dry hop this baby. Super pumped about early samples. All German ingredients other than the US05/S189 yeast blend. Just sharing for the hell of it.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/788953/zee-german
I am very keen to hear how the Monroe works out too! I have been brewing "german ipa"s for years and am a big fan of Mandarina Bavaria (especially in combination with Comet) and currently liking Ariana. Like the looks of your recipe!
From my experience, the Hüll Melon will probably get overwhelmed by the other hops (no experience with Blanc) though.
....and if you really want to go "german", you will have to get rid of the cane sugar. ;)

I am very keen to hear how the Monroe works out too! I have been brewing "german ipa"s for years and am a big fan of Mandarina Bavaria (especially in combination with Comet) and currently liking Ariana. Like the looks of your recipe!
From my experience, the Hüll Melon will probably get overwhelmed by the other hops (no experience with Blanc) though.
....and if you really want to go "german", you will have to get rid of the cane sugar. ;)

yeah my normal ipas get sugar because I like them pretty dry. Decided just to go with it. Not sure what mixing the ale and lager yeasts will achieve.

yeah my normal ipas get sugar because I like them pretty dry. Decided just to go with it. Not sure what mixing the ale and lager yeasts will achieve.
Not sure either...will probably depend most on what temp you ferment at. US05 is definitely "dry" at 15°C, but will still ferment nicely, so you should be able to ferment warmish for a lager but coolish for an ale and get something interesting. :D

Not sure either...will probably depend most on what temp you ferment at. US05 is definitely "dry" at 15°C, but will still ferment nicely, so you should be able to ferment warmish for a lager but coolish for an ale and get something interesting. :D

Wanted to just do a lager but didn't have a second pack thus the blend. I actually fermented at 15c and now it's at 18c.

Wanted to just do a lager but didn't have a second pack thus the blend. I actually fermented at 15c and now it's at 18c.
That's definitely a bit warm in general for a lager, but I have 0 experience with S189, so it might be fine...
I would be very curious to hear what others here think about mixing yeast types vs building up a starter! I have never mixed, but do build up a starter when in doubt (doing one right now in fact :))

It's going to be hard to pick out the monroe I think since there are 3 other hops. Probably not the best method
That's definitely a bit warm in general for a lager, but I have 0 experience with S189, so it might be fine...
I would be very curious to hear what others here think about mixing yeast types vs building up a starter! I have never mixed, but do build up a starter when in doubt (doing one right now in fact :))

A little sulfur in the sample yesterday but otherwise good. I use dry yeast specifically do I don't have to use starters. Not a normal practice for me to blend yeasts with different ideal temp ranges.

Years ago, the Pilsners I was enjoying in the Rhineland were all very bitter - I'd even go IPA-ish bitter. Particularly Kirner, loved me some of that beer!

Kegged last night. Tried a different dry hop method based on an article shared over at AHA. Dry hopped cold at 35F for 48 hours. Excited to see how that affects the final product.

Well the results are in. Pretty much tastes like what you would expect. Hop profile is a bit underwhelming for what I was hoping for. I would go with floral and lightly fruity with other characteristics you would expect from noble hops. It’s a nice beer but will probably mix in some hops characteristic of normal Ipas if I was to do it again. So basically make a normal ipa with some new school German hops and some traditional ipa hops. Something I’ve wanted to try for while so I’m glad I gave it a go.

Well the results are in. Pretty much tastes like what you would expect. Hop profile is a bit underwhelming for what I was hoping for. I would go with floral and lightly fruity with other characteristics you would expect from noble hops. It’s a nice beer but will probably mix in some hops characteristic of normal Ipas if I was to do it again. So basically make a normal ipa with some new school German hops and some traditional ipa hops. Something I’ve wanted to try for while so I’m glad I gave it a go.
All in the name of science. Thanks for the follow-up.

@Iliff Avenue Brewhouse have you ever had Firestone Walker's Pivo Pils? Fantastic beer if you haven't. I've seen clone recipes around for it. Might be worth looking into for more ideas. I think Firestone Walker uses all noble type hops.

@Iliff Avenue Brewhouse have you ever had Firestone Walker's Pivo Pils? Fantastic beer if you haven't. I've seen clone recipes around for it. Might be worth looking into for more ideas. I think Firestone Walker uses all noble type hops.

I've had it many times. Great hoppy pils. Going for something more IPA less Pilsner. Again, that's probably not really achievable with the ingredients I used. Another option would just be to use a lot more hops. That's something to ponder. Throw a couple more oz in the kettle and dry hop

Back