Price of Pro Brewer's Friend!

Do you believe they should F! us all?

• Total voters

Horst

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you believe these guys have raised the cost of pro account from $14.99 to $25 fricken dollars this year!! I started using this app to brew 6 years ago when it was $11. Time to find another app.

I've been a lifer for years and missed the price change. But if I were paying, I'd ask myself not how much the price was raised but if I were getting the value I need for the price. If not, then you are correct, it's time to find another app but for perspective, you're talking about the price of one pitch of yeast for the year.

Since I've joined, the information from fellow homebrewers has helped me improve my brewing. The calculators are worth the $25. Hang in there. There is value on this site.

I'm not an expert and find the advice useful. And, frankly, it's nice to find a place to talk brewing with other enthusiasts rather than watch my wife's eyes roll into the back of her head in boredom....

Compared to the costs of some of my other habits (tattoos cost $225/hour for quality in my area - last tattoo took 7 1/2 hours....:eek:) this site is cheap.

$25 a year...$2.08 per month...I can find enough change in my couch for that. Cheaper than Friday dinner for the entire family at McDonald's or even a few pints on the patio at the local pub.

But. Your money, your choice.

Can you believe these guys have raised the cost of pro account from $14.99 to $25 fricken dollars this year!! I started using this app to brew 6 years ago when it was $11. Time to find another app.

I've personally found this site INVALUABLE but I think Nosy Bear said it best when he mentioned comparing cost to what you gain from the app. I certainly wouldn't consider it a waste of money. However, it sort of sounds like you've made up your mind.

Last edited:
I think I easily save $25 per year being able to do custom recipe development and purchasing bulk ingredients. I make about 20-25 batches a year, so the cost is amortized over these batches.

Given the total clusterf*ck that the calculator turned into last year (literally months of dysfunction, bugs and "fixes") I don't even rely on it anymore. I made my own spreadsheet calculator and fortunately have enough proven recipes that I can work around or double check.
I don't think the calculator is worth it anymore and I don't recommend it to other brewers anymore but until I get motivated and download all my recipes and brew logs, it's easier to store the info here. I'm paying 25 bucks a year for storage and community.

The price went up over a year or two ago if not mistaken. I like the forum, but I gave up on the software and didn't renew this year for the 1st time in years. While $25 is cheap, it's no longer the best value out there imho. For my brewing, there's better out there for cheaper. If my money could be used just to support the forum, I may consider that but for sure I don't want my dollars going to the software development end of BF.

Reactions: J A
The price went up over a year or two ago if not mistaken. I like the forum, but I gave up on the software and didn't renew this year for the 1st time in years. While $25 is cheap, it's no longer the best value out there imho. For my brewing, there's better out there for cheaper. If my money could be used just to support the forum, I may consider that but for sure I don't want my dollars going to the software development end of BF.
I could build spreadsheets (like JA) myself but that wouldn't be worth the time.... Besides, I've been coasting for years!

Eh, I'm having a hard time getting worked up about it.
Yeah, it's all a choice really. I gave up getting worked up about all the changes and problems and just took my money elsewhere. Now I enjoy the members here and software somewhere else. Win win for me.

Reactions: J A
To be honest, I have been on a journey with you all here. I started brewing tiny batches in Japan. My life then got turned upside down (nothing to do with the brewing, by the way) and I ended up back in the UK. Just come back to brewing again after more changes in the last year.
Fortunately, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know that the calculator is screwed. Seems to work just fine for me. And, I am happy to say, my first two beers since I have come back have been the best ones so far. Seriously.
So, for my £1.60p a month I get community, storage and very, very handy tools.
I will be staying, but will also be keeping an eye on the subscription.

I love playing with all the toys on BF. I can't go to the store with the grand kids and get them a toy for much less, and then there is my bride and she does get expensive. Brewing ~25 batches a year, I'll spring for a buck to get the recipe worked up and printable. The forums and ability to get ideas from researching other recipes is priceless.

Do what you must. It was a shit show here about a year ago with all of the big filled releases, but in my opinion BF recovered well, and have done a good job since.

Back