Learning about oxidation...

Metabisulfite is a very effective antioxidant. You might notice a slight sulfur note if you use it and some people are sensitive to it so don't share a sulfited beer unless you warn people - the sensitivity is why it's not used in beer. Never read about ascorbic acid and meta used in combination - ascorbic acid is vitamin C, has antioxidant properties but breaks down rather quickly (hence, the antioxidant). In my experience, IPAs in general are fragile beers and need to be drunk quickly, no matter how careful you are with oxygen.

I've been using Brewtan B in my beers as an antioxidant. It seems to help somewhat.

Up to 10ppm can be used without any labeling.
Professionally there are combinations for antioxidants that are pre packaged.
Antiox-c is k-meta, and AA, and is used for post fermentation.
Antiox-SBT is a hot side blend of k-meta, AA, and gallotannin. Used in wort production.

My ipas, can last a year plus with no degradation.

Lastly, BTB is not an antioxidant. It chelates metal ions into the trub, it does not stop oxidative reactions from happening..

Hauptsache, er trifft... Interesting. I'm assuming you mean potassium metabisulfite by k-meta? Also, by chelating metal ions, particularly iron and manganese, you're reducing the possibility of oxidation, correct?

Hauptsache, er trifft... Interesting. I'm assuming you mean potassium metabisulfite by k-meta? Also, by chelating metal ions, particularly iron and manganese, you're reducing the possibility of oxidation, correct?

If you go about 3/4"s down the way on my reference page you will see a section about antioxidants.
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/list-of-brewing-references/

Yes, correct, Kmeta is potassium metabisulfite, but much faster to type! The reason K meta is used over na meta (sodium metabisulfite), is then it doesn't potentially change ones water profile.

Iron, Copper, Manganese, SS, Nickel, Chromium, Lead, etc, etc. Of which comes from malt, water, hops, chillers, improperly passivated kettles, too much yeast nutrient, etc. Yes, it chelates them, thereby reducing the possibility, but gallotannins, or tannins from the gallnut (BTB, tanal-a, tanal-b, gallovin, etc) themselves are not an antioxidant, meaning it doesn't steal oxygen molecules and replace them with something non-reactive.

Be on the look out for some new potentially better metal chelation molecules. I have been working with some folks at VLB berlin on them.

Back