Oats Flaked

BigWheelBrewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
Still new to brewing so please excuse my question if its confusing.

So my last brew which was my 1st recipe(with help) calls for;

2lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1lb Munich Malt-10L (10 SRM)

I put both in sleeping bag.

But the only place Oats Flaked is found is a fermentable.

I just want to get the recipe uploaded.

Thanks in advance.

Still new to brewing so please excuse my question if its confusing.

So my last brew which was my 1st recipe(with help) calls for;

2lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1lb Munich Malt-10L (10 SRM)

I put both in sleeping bag.

But the only place Oats Flaked is found is a fermentable.

I just want to get the recipe uploaded.

Thanks in advance.
Flaked oats are starches that the emzymes in your mash will convert into fermentables sugars over time.
Just Make sure you've got some base malt in there to provide the enzymes.
Hope that helps

Flaked oats are starches that the emzymes in your mash will convert into fermentables sugars over time.
Just Make sure you've got some base malt in there to provide the enzymes.
Hope that helps
Trialben

Thanks for the reply, but im more looking for where to build them in the recipe building process.

It only shows flaked oats in the fermentable section. So I guess my confusion is since it was Extract was I Steeped them with Munich malt in a grain bag for 30ish mins at 158

Yes, they are fermentables, and will be in that section of many recipe builders.
as TrialBen stated, when you use oats, you will need enzymes from base malts... otherwise the starches which oats contain will not convert to fermentable sugars. Munich malt has enzymes, but most possible, not enough to convert the starches from the oats.... and probably not at the quantities you stated in the recipe.. 2/1 oats/munich. hope it turns out well, if it is cloudy... it will still be drinkable. :D

The recipe builder on this site has a measure of Diastatic Power and indicates whether a recipe has enough enzymes to convert all available starches. Tossing in 2 lbs Flaked Oats and 1 lb of Munich Malt (10L) and it shows you need more base malt to reach the minimum amount of enzymes.

upload_2020-6-4_21-30-22.png

When I use oats store bought usually rolled oats the ones you make porridge with I just use the flaked oats header in the fermentables section in recipie. I'm sure it's near enough and good enough ;).

My apologies all, I probably should have started by also stating this was an Extract recipe so it also has 5lbs of Extra Light DME

Steeping grains are used primarily to add color and flavor to extract brews. Both the Munich malt and the Flaked are listed as fermentables because they contain fermentable sugars and can also be mashed to extract these sugars. You'll get a bit of color out of the Munich and starchy haze from the flaked oats if you steep them. As long as your settings indicate extract brewing and not partial mash the recipe builder will treat them accordingly.

That recipe should be put in as a "partial mash" type, and then the list will populate with Munich malt.

Here is the recipe. If I could get some help to ensure I build and upload it properly

Thanks all for the help

Attachments

• 20200605_112242.jpg
    20200605_112242.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 71

Back