pH calculation for late added roast grain

aussiealchemist

Premium Member
Reaction score
When linking a mash pH and water chemistry calculator to a
recipe that has roast grains added late in the mash or steeped in the kettle, the grain bill includes those roast grains for the mash pH calculation. Is there a way (other than manually deleting the roast grains from the mash bill) that the calculator can ignore the acidifying effect of the roast grains for the mash pH calculation?

That is a very good point! I cap the mash with some dehusked carafa III for my Black IPA, hadn't considered the pH implications with doing that.

I haven't played with the water chemistry calculator too much, but using the "late addition: Mash tun" property should address this. It will also lower the OG a teeny bit since you're not getting conversion this is expected.

I haven't played with the water chemistry calculator too much, but using the "late addition: Mash tun" property should address this. It will also lower the OG a teeny bit since you're not getting conversion this is expected.

Selecting Mash Tun, Boil Kettle

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the Late Addition (Mash Tun, Boil Kettle or Fermenter) is selected. When you "Update Grain Bill From Recipe" the roasted grains are included into the pH calculation. For example, the mash pH of a black IPA recipe goes from 5.26 down to 5.18 when the roast grain's acidifying effect is included. Not a huge difference I know, but it would be a nice fix.

I'll add this as a fix- anything not in the mash shouldn't go into the mash pH calculation.

It would affect the kettle pH of course, but so do sparge additions added to the kettle and that's not accounted for since it's post-mash.

I'll add this as a fix- anything not in the mash shouldn't go into the mash pH calculation.

It would affect the kettle pH of course, but so do sparge additions added to the kettle and that's not accounted for since it's post-mash.
Thanks Yooper. I notice that if you "reload" the recipe into the mash calculator the late addition grains are not included. They only appear if you "Update" the grain bill from the recipe. I also note that the mash pH on the "Recipe Builder" page correctly drops out the late addition grains for the mash pH shown in the header bar. Oddly there always seems to be a slight difference between the mash pH estimate given by the calculator and the one that shows on the recipe builder page. All of which is very minor and doesn't really detract from the overall fabulousness of Brewers Friend. You guys have really developed an outstanding tool for brewers everywhere. Best thing I ever did was to sign up. Thanks again.

The update for this issue has been released, please let us know if you're still experiencing any issues.

Back