Dry and liquid malt extract combined?

Broederliefde

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

I have a question about malt extract brewing.
Me and my brother are planning to brew our first IPA. (and also our first malt extract).
We only have experience with the brewferm kits and we would like to slowly get into the whole mash type brewing. We are fairly new to brewing so we would like to ask a few questions.

We worked out an recipe where we have 1kg of dry malt extract and 3 kg of liquid malt extract. We are aiming for a estimated boil size of 26 liters so we can have a batch size of 21 liters. Total boil time with the hops is 60 min.

Our questions are: Can we mix liquid and dry malt? if so, how much water should we add for the dry malt and liquid combined?

Should we add like 1 liter to 1 kg of dry malt?

Remember we are new to this so any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated!

cheers!

Are you guys adding any specialty grains or anything? Either way I add my malt extract to the boil; I don't mix it with anything first. Basically get the water to a boil, remove from heat, add the malt extract, stir well, return to heat, boil as long as needed

No specialty grains or anything. Thanks for the reply. we'll try it with the liquid and dry malt extract.

cheers!

use this site, build the recipe, first chose extract, put in the size of your batch finished at the top then click on recipe tools quick water requirements, normally 1 to 1.5 gallons more water to add in addition to your finished batch size for small pots

Thnx ozarks. I will check the tool for the water requirements.

So you can actually mix liquid and dry maly extract with each other?
Again thnx for the feedback.

and to be specific liquid and dry are the same, one is just completely dehydrated and the other is not. most kits sell both together along with steeping grains for flavor, just my 2 cents liquid just isn't worth the hassle, you can make the same recipe with just dry dme and store the dme longer

Back