Show us your boil

3rd draw of hoppy blond is boiling. Upped the oat ratio in this brew today gee the break was nice and creamy hope it's a sign of things to come:rolleyes:.
20200502_115643.jpg

Coffee Porter
I can't believe how much I missed my gravity by! 1059 - 1036! Hydrometer,and refractometer agree, so not an I instrument issue.
Added all the DME I had on hand and brought it up to 1040, going to boil it down to 8.5 gallons (from 11.8) to get to 1052. That will give me about 5%, that will be respectable. It just won't be the robust porter I expected.
Anyway it looks and smells lovely!
20200606_114939.jpg

The grain was sitting around milled for a bit but not that long was it? If short on base grain it will be plenty robust. Could be lots of reasons. That is a huge dif. Could be several things combinined.

There was a gallon plus left in the mash tun, which was at a very high gravity, once I got grains out I added it to the kettle. At the end of it all I boiled down to 8.5 gallons and my OG ended high at 1063 o_O , so ABV will be around 6.5%, was shooting for 6%. I need to sort out why that last gallon + won't transfer to the kettle, will have to rethink my false bottom.

Back