How Old are my Hops??

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I wrote the folks at Yakima Hop Union but have not got a reply back so here's one to the group for reply.

Does any one know the code for the UPC or their lot code to figure out what the date of packaging is?

I got a windfall on about of pound of different hops but I can't see any best by or use before dates on any of the packages.

Just keep them in the freezer and use them up as fast as you can reasonably do so. If they're in original packaging they'll be fine - even though it's much better to keep them cold or frozen.

One of the things I really like about Yakima Valley Hops is that they have the crop year listed for all of their hops, both on their web site and on the packaging. I keep my hops frozen and, once opened, store in vacuum sealed Mason jars and haven't had a problem with hops as old as 4 years. It's nice to know the crop year so you can use a hop aging tool to adjust AA% though.

One of the things I really like about Yakima Valley Hops is that they have the crop year listed for all of their hops, both on their web site and on the packaging. I keep my hops frozen and, once opened, store in vacuum sealed Mason jars and haven't had a problem with hops as old as 4 years. It's nice to know the crop year so you can use a hop aging tool to adjust AA% though.
sometimes you can get an earlier crop much cheaper too

sometimes you can get an earlier crop much cheaper too

Yep, the main reason I'm still using 2016 crop Centennial, Chinook, Magnum and Cluster. Will all be used earlier this Summer, or I'll find out how well they keep for more than 4 years:)

Yep, the main reason I'm still using 2016 crop Centennial, Chinook, Magnum and Cluster. Will all be used earlier this Summer, or I'll find out how well they keep for more than 4 years:)
I have about 50 pounds of hops in my freezer, most in the original packages and some 3 years old, still look the same when I smell and pitch

I have about 50 pounds of hops in my freezer, most in the original packages and some 3 years old, still look the same when I smell and pitch

Down to about 15 lbs. here and most are less than 3 years old.

I also have hops up to 4 yrs old, and I do the same....frozen and vacuum packed. So far no issues with taste aroma etc.

I better move mine from the the crisper drawer to the freezer. However they are all from 2019. And only about 3 lbs left.
I have kept the pellets in the crisper and the whole hops in the freezer but I'll put them ALL in the freezer now!

Yeah, Yakima Chief packaging (red) are indeed dated with a best by stamp but the Yakima Hop Union packaging (green) are not. doing a little poking around on the internet....very liitle...it looks like they may have changed packaging. With my LHBS change, I have been getting Yakima Chief in the red packaging exclusively so it looks like there was a merger or something within the last year ...maybe 2?

I'm talking about Yakima Valley hops and an actual crop year, not a best by date from either of the distributors you named. Best by dates allow them to sell last years hops at this years prices. Not much different than no date at all.

Back