IBU applied to dry hop addition when hop copied over from Whirlpool

Rob S

Trial Member
Reaction score
I copied the hops from my whirlpool additions then changed it to dry hop and the hop IBU carried over but didn't get reset when I changed the addition to dry hop. This has incorrectly calculated the IBU for the recipe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 10.55.40 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 10.55.40 am.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 76
I copied the hops from my whirlpool additions then changed it to dry hop and the hop IBU carried over but didn't get reset when I changed the addition to dry hop. This has incorrectly calculated the IBU for the recipe.

Can you please give me a link to the recipe as well, so I can dig into it?

There's a Hop Options section in the equipment profile that allows you to set a utilisation for hops added at various stages (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/equipment). It defaults to 5% for dry hop. So it may be that rather than the copying creating those numbers. You can set it to 0 or leave it at 5 as you prefer.

I think this is a relatively new behaviour and being looked at currently.

I suppose the 5% may make sense from an IBU assay point of view, but so much of the thinking from 10 years or more ago assumes that there's 0 IBUs from dry hopping. It probably also throws off style guidelines and the style tickbox as they'd assume 0 IBUs for dry hopping.

Thanks for the report, I'm adding this forum thread to a ticket.

The issue is the Util (optional): field gets filled in as 10% for whirlpool additions, but doesn't get reset when changing from whirlpool to something else. You'll see the same issue if you change the whirlpool addition to a boil addition.

@Yooper this is issue #1367.

Ok great thanks. I will manually change the utilization on this recipe for now

An update has been released to resolve this. Going forward, the utilization % will automatically reset when changing the hop additions use type.

@Rob S

Back