Wyeast London Ale III

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a low ABV Neipa in the fermenter for 8 days now and there is a thick "cake batter" looking layer still on the top. It fermented hard for 3 or 4 days, I dry hopped on day 3. I plan to dry hop again today but I'm concerned with that layer on top. FG is within .002 of my expected FG. Anyone have this happen with this yeast?

London III is a true top cropping yeast, meaning it flocculates up before dropping out to the bottom. The layer on the top is not unusual, just shake the fermenter (without aerating it, in other words with the fermenter closed to outside air) and it should drop out, some may come to the top again, but it maybe still working on the last of the sugars in the beer. Completely normal for that yeast.

Last edited:
Wow! Glad I did a search on 1318 before posting my question.

I am using it for the first time and I gave things a swirl this morning as the fermentation slowed down after being very active for 2 days. I had a blow off tube in it until this morning when along with the swirl I put a bulb ferm lock on it but, on checking in on things tonight I was shocked to smell beer as I entered the cellar and found that I should have left to blow off in place! Does the 1318 stall? I used it with a starter on a blonde ale, OG was about 1050

Wow! Glad I did a search on 1318 before posting my question.

I am using it for the first time and I gave things a swirl this morning as the fermentation slowed down after being very active for 2 days. I had a blow off tube in it until this morning when along with the swirl I put a bulb ferm lock on it but, on checking in on things tonight I was shocked to smell beer as I entered the cellar and found that I should have left to blow off in place! Does the 1318 stall? I used it with a starter on a blonde ale, OG was about 1050
No. It's not known as a "staller", but it doesn't always attenuates past 75%. Swirling and causing the yeast to drop may have got it going harder by reintroducing the yeast to the beer. I never knew it to be fast, but it was always reliable.

its my Favorite!!!

Cool! thanks HVM and Val...so what kind of expectation should I have with this yeast to get this 5 gallons fermented down to the low 10's when I started at 1050 and have it in a 65° F chamber? A week? Ten days? More?

Last edited:
5-7 days depending on pitch rate and fermentation temperature. I sometime will under-pitch 1318 to avoid the volcano. I can't remember it ever taking more than 6 days.

I have it at 65°F but the rate was not the most accurate. Wyeast is putting a "best by" date on the packet and not a packaged date so poking around their site helped me stumble on the shelf life of 6 months so I calculated backwards to come up with an estimated age to plug into the pitch rate tool here on BF to make my starter...I think it was a mid October date ....
10 15 20

So a follow up...things are starting to fall and the off gassing has become much less active and the beer is losing its orange juice appearance. I am going to give it a few more days to drop and check the gravity before cold crashing the batch....hopefully this time next week we'll be posting botteling results on "What did you do in HB today?" @Vallka , unless you can give me a really compelling reason why I should use this yeast or any other top cropping yeast again, this cake is headed to the septic tank and not a mason jar!

Back