Hallo from Germany

kaspar&piet

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

first of all thanks for all the help that not only this site, but also the forum provides!

I just started brewing (all grain) this year and currently have my 5th batch in the fermenter. It is also the first batch I did with the tools from this site.

After a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, which turned out pretty well, a Blonde Ale, which was okay in the first batch but very sour and undrinkable in the second batch, I tried a Zombie Dust clone but replaced the Citra hops with Motueka. Since I cannot get the Zombie Dust anywhere in Germany I won't be able to compare, but it's getting great reviews anywhere, so I gave it a shot. It is currently conditioning and the samples I took for gravity reading tasted very promising.

So my last brew, the one I did with the recipe calculator, is my first own recipe and a Pale Ale using Magnum for bittering and Nelson Sauvin for aroma. Gravity came out too high and my batch size too small. Everything else was fine, so I guess I'll just have to adjust my boil-off rate and will be spot on with my next batch.

Cheers!

first of all welcome to the best brew site on the Internet ;) and good luck starting out if you need any more pointers let us know

Welcome! Good to see someone else around who is brewing all-grain in Germany. :p
If you're in the east (Sachsen) or north (Niedersachsen), we should meet up for a brew or 2.

Welcome, from this side of the pond! :mrgreen:
Brian

Hello sbaclimber,

I live in the cologne area, so not really close by. But who knows, right?

Hallo! Welcome to the site. I like how you make clones of beer you can't get in your hometown or country. Something I should try. What is the homebrew scene like in Germany?

Hi skeevystoner,

I can only assume that it is becoming more and more popular. But I don't really know. The craft beer trend is only now coming to Germany and therefore there are quite a few brewery start ups. Even the large breweries like Bitburger or Radeberger are producing Pale Ales and IPAs now. Drinking those sytles of beer can be an expensive hobby though, which is one of the reasons I started brewing. So maybe with a growing popularity, more people will start to brew their own.

kapsar&piet said:
Hello sbaclimber,
I live in the cologne area, so not really close by. But who knows, right?
Yeah, Köln isn't exactly "around the corner"... I wouldn't mind going back for visit some time though. :)

skeevystoner said:
What is the homebrew scene like in Germany?
I am also curious what kaspar&piet says about the scene around Cologne. I know small private breweries and homebrewing in general has a pretty big tradition in the south, but not so much in the north and east. There definitely isn't much of a homebrew community here in Sachsen. :cry:

Back