How does this look?

It's a personal choice, but 14-15% Crystal sticks out to me. Then again I'm Crystal intolerant. :D

Assuming you are ok with that then I think it looks great. The hop schedule especially.

Cheers!

It's a personal choice, but 14-15% Crystal sticks out to me. Then again I'm Crystal intolerant. :D

Assuming you are ok with that then I think it looks great. The hop schedule especially.

Cheers!
+1. I would cut the crystal in half.

I was wondering about the amount of crystal and using both crystal and Munich, unless you're going for an almost sticky bun kind of flavor - lots of toffee and dark European bread.

It looks better than the typical Pale Ale you'd find any place in Squamish except A Frame :) It isn't a hazy beer.
Seriously. I don't like the crystal malt level either.

I have 6% C60, and 5.4% carapils in my go to IPA. SRM is 7.73. I like the malt/hop balance in mine. I have 19.5 ounces of hops in mine, 7.5 in the boil, 6 WP, 6 DH.

From my limited experience, I think your beer will end up much darker than 11.66 SRM the recipe suggests. The beer that I am currently enjoying used 96.2% pale ale malt and 3.8% acidulated malt, with an expected 5.98 SRM. The color is closer to 8 or 9 SRM. Maybe it is my process, as all of my brews come out darker than expected. I like the hops schedule - can’t go wrong with “c” hops.

From my limited experience, I think your beer will end up much darker than 11.66 SRM the recipe suggests.
My beers have come out consistently darker than what the calculations suggest (at least I think so)... Maybe I'll post a flight and label each beer with SRM... Anyone else experience this?

So what I’m looking for is a nice PA (just found this one on the web) I like the hop schedule and will keep it. Right now I don’t have any Vienna and seems most PA I look at have Vienna.
Who has a well used recipe for Pale Ale out there with no Vienna.......want to brew it tomorrow!!

You could scale mine down to size if you like, tough to make a recommendation as we all have different tastes. No Vienna in mine.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/650670/cit-ruby-cit
I would describe mine as a West Coast IPA, good hop aroma, and flavor. Also has what I would call a nice malt backbone, decently bitter, not overly bitter.

(+1 to Craigerrr's recipe. Looks great.)

I think Munich is a very common malt for an APA. There is nothing wrong with your recipe as is, I hope I didn't imply there was. Pale/Munich/Crystal is a great base for this beer. How you want to divide that up is really up to who is drinking it. Some prefer more sweetness, some less so. I personally like low Crystal but love what my Munich brings to the table so my Pale might look something like:
70-75% Pale
20-25% Munich
Crystal for color (5% Max)

I think you should brew your beer as is and take notes. It might be the best beer you ever made.

Good luck.

Looks like a good recipe too. As noted, it is all about personal taste. I would probably be adding a lot more hops to this one, but that is just me.

apa’s don’t need a ton of hops. I forgot this switched to ipa. Def not an IPA

(+1 to Craigerrr's recipe. Looks great.)

I think Munich is a very common malt for an APA. There is nothing wrong with your recipe as is, I hope I didn't imply there was. Pale/Munich/Crystal is a great base for this beer. How you want to divide that up is really up to who is drinking it. Some prefer more sweetness, some less so. I personally like low Crystal but love what my Munich brings to the table so my Pale might look something like:
70-75% Pale
20-25% Munich
Crystal for color (5% Max)

I think you should brew your beer as is and take notes. It might be the best beer you ever made.

Good luck.
No Worries, not my recipe at all, just throwing it out there, the responses will relieve the best changes....... going with a variation of Craigrr, totally different hop schedule but similar grain bill.

Back