Stainless vs Aluminum

Jahlovebrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Ok total NOOB question here... I have been using a 5 gallon stainless brewpot for my 2 batches so far... I noticed tonight brewing 3.5 gallons of wort it boiled over pretty bad.. prob a rook mistake. I do have a much larger aluminum turkey fryer pot. I have heard different opinions from articles I have searched. Is aluminum ok to use?

Totally okay to use if its starting life as a brew kettle. If it's been used with oil, you might consider giving it a really good cleaning with PBW or similar cleaner and a couple of hard boils to make sure any "turkey essence" is gone. I started with an aluminum pot from a turkey fryer kit, but have since gotten my hands on a 15 gallon keg and have converted it to a keggle (haven't had time to use it yet, tho). The only thing I didn't like about the aluminum pot is that it scratches a lot easier, so I used a heavy duty plastic spoon.

Aluminum is totally fine if you create an oxidized layer on it first which will prevent any aluminum from leeching into the beer. You can do this by boiling water in it for a hour and you will see it darken.

You shouldn't clean it with Per carb once you have done this, however, as it will strip this layer off.

BrewHop said:
Aluminum is totally fine if you create an oxidized layer on it first which will prevent any aluminum from leeching into the beer. You can do this by boiling water in it for a hour and you will see it darken.

You shouldn't clean it with Per carb once you have done this, however, as it will strip this layer off.

+1 on the oxidized layer. It's not as shiny as stainless, but it will protect the beer from off flavors.

Back