Scotch Ale recipe feedback/suggestions welcome!

This is my Scotch Ale goal:
20200506_194755.jpg

20200506_194814.jpg

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/991027/dunn-s-scotch-ale

My first scotch ale recipe.
I'm trying to make something similar to the Boundary Bay Brewing Scotch Ale or the Belhaven.
Haven't had Boundry Bay Scotch but I do enjoy their IPA. MY guess would be you look lite on hops and heavy on maltyness. I would sub some C40 or 60 for a couple of those specialty malts or add more hops to balance them. Looks to malt forward as is. Balance is important in a scotch ale or it can get cloyingly sweet.

Hey AG, how did your scotch ale come out?

Turns out that it has a little bit of a burnt flavor to it. I had an issue with the last few batches I've had scorching on the bottom, but didn't realize how was going to affect my beer. So right now I've got a hefeweizen, a wee heavy, a Belgian golden strong ale, and a Russian imperial stout that all have a very distinct burnt flavor to them.

I can tell the beer underneath each one is probably good, just can't get over that burnt flavor. Too small of a mill gap caused flour build on the bottom of the boil kettle of my Mash & Boil Brewers edge system. I have since adjusted the mill gap and will be testing it out later this week. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on the flavor.

No worries, hope you get that scorching thing sorted. I have been looking at All In Ones, had read about the scorching issue with the Brewers Edge unit.

No worries, hope you get that scorching thing sorted. I have been looking at All In Ones, had read about the scorching issue with the Brewers Edge unit.
I'm here to confirm that on the M&B

Back