Brewing with kettle adjuncts

BDgrainbrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a pumpkin porter that calls for the addition of D-90 dark candi syrup to the boil, and an American Brown that calls for the addition of turbinado (1 lb.) for a 5 gallon batch. Quite frankly I have never used adjuncts in either the mash or the boil. With the addition of sugars to the boil, is it possible to scorch the wort? If so, how is the best way to cautiously proceed in easing either of these two products into the boil? I guess that I have been brewing under the "purity law" standards, and I am ready to branch out. Thanks & Cheers!

their both sugar and Ive always put everything all in from the beginning but always make sure I have full water and is throughly mixed up before flame on, the only thing Ive noticed is a slight shade darker color some times with 60 to 90 minute boils. scorching only comes up in old web articles where the syrup was so thick it stuck to the bottom and the brewer didn't notice it, you should be fine

just a tip on Turbinado, if you have something to grind it to a flour I highly recommend that first

Ive always put everything all in from the beginning but always make sure I have full water and is throughly mixed up before flame on I have 7-7.5 gallons wort post sparge, so I am unclear on what you mean by full water. Do I understand you correctly that the "sugars" should be added and stirred pre-boil? The turbinado that I bought packaged in 8 oz. packages came powdered. The American Brown that I am brewing is a Carribou Slobber that you spoke of in an earlier thread. The sugars will enhance the ABV, which should be welcome this winter.

yes the same the correct water to start...and on the sugar thats just what I do, if powdered you can add it later too say 20 or 15 just to boost the yeast to start faster and add some alcohol. some times the kind of sugar will add some flavor if added at different times

good beer, let it age and it will be better, I have 10 gallons conditioning now of a variation from that beer

So, have seen a couple somewhat similar type questions the past week or so, here's what I've been doing.
Have used corn sugar in a few recipes and have boiled it "off-line" in 2L (typically) for about 15 minutes, then poured that in at flame out. Compensating, of course, for the fact that I'm adding about 1.5L late. Zero concerns about any scorching or not fully dissolving in, etc. It's worked thusfar. But it's only been with simple corn sugar.

shouldn't scorch at all, I added 10 pounds of dme and 6 pounds of sugar to my last brew, boiled all for 90 minutes because I sparged too much water and the beer is awesome to say the least

and I have electric so the burner is inside the pot and still no change

I've had wort scorch and not scorch both with and without sugar. For me scorching has more to do with how hot my burner is, and how much I stir. More stirring = less scorching. That said, I use honey or sugar in many of my beers and add it at flameout with no ill effects.

oh yes one thing I do not count on; is the boil to mix anything up, I stir and keep stirring. I whirlpool with my mash paddle several times in the beginning or adding anything to my 15 and 0 add-ins even while boiling so I guess that keeps it off the bottom

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
shouldn't scorch at all, I added 10 pounds of dme and 6 pounds of sugar to my last brew, boiled all for 90 minutes because I sparged too much water and the beer is awesome to say the least

and I have electric so the burner is inside the pot and still no change

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Inputs appreciated & interesting conversation. 5.5 gal. to the primary double pitching Dry English Ale Yeast WLP007, with the boldest color I could imagine. So now I wait........& Cheers!

Keen to hear how it turns out!
After 2+ yrs of fighting with 007 for IPAs I finally gave up...
It is a great yeast, for specific styles, but can be really finicky for others. :?
PS, for darker beers, I think it could be perfect. IMO, fermenting below 20°C gives a much cleaner tasting beer....fwiw.

Central Texas is the defining condition, with temps. on Oct. 2 @ 94 degrees fahrenheit, this ale yeast was my best choice. Lagering is down the road a few months, but will take advantage of the cooler conditions once here, and am looking for suggestions on a good lager for a 5,5 gallon batch...whole grain ..of course! Thanks & Cheers!

Back