Harvesting yeast

beer1965

Trial Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me to a link or video that would show me how to reliably harvest yeast from trub? I've not ever done it before. Going to try and harvest US-05. I know it's inexpensive but I'd like to learn what all the fuss is about. Can I put it in the freezer, how much to I get, how to store for how long etc.. that sort of stuff.. google just overwhelms with all kinds of stuff that I get skeptical about.. I figure you guys would be more reliable at pointing me somewhere than brewmaster google would be.. thanks in advance boys..

Probably goes further than you want, but it's the most useful one I've found -

You'll probably also find a lot of people talking about washing their slurry. I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I just swirl the sediment up with the little bit of beer left in the fermenter and transfer into a sanitized Mason Jar or 2. No need to wash/rinse unless you're planning on using it in a very delicate beer.I generally plan several beers in advance so the yeast can be used within a few days, but it stores for several weeks if needed. Remember that every time you handle the yeast you risk contamination. Also, yeast stores better under beer that water. Be sure to leave the lids a little loose or you might end up with a burst jar.

I don't save yeast from a beer anymore I just create new yeast from one packet or vial and mass produce it into a pint of pure slurry, it's always an option if you have a stir plate

Can someone point me to a link or video that would show me how to reliably harvest yeast from trub? I've not ever done it before. Going to try and harvest US-05. I know it's inexpensive but I'd like to learn what all the fuss is about. Can I put it in the freezer, how much to I get, how to store for how long etc.. that sort of stuff.. google just overwhelms with all kinds of stuff that I get skeptical about.. I figure you guys would be more reliable at pointing me somewhere than brewmaster google would be.. thanks in advance boys..
Just last week, I took the plunge on my first harvest of yeast from my batch of IPA. I pitched some of the slurry (US-05) into a brew last Thursday. Fermentation took off quickly. As BOB357 says, just swirl up some of the trub (sediment at bottom of fermenter) with the beer that it just fermented. Pour that slurry into sanitized jar(s), secure lid(s) loosely, then refrigerate. When you have a new brew ready to ferment, add some slurry and away you go. It really is easier than you probably would think. My first harvested yeast repitch seems to have proceeded quickly, as a week later fermentation activity appears done - but I will still let it sit for another week or two, as is my custom.

Just last week, I took the plunge on my first harvest of yeast from my batch of IPA. I pitched some of the slurry (US-05) into a brew last Thursday. Fermentation took off quickly. As BOB357 says, just swirl up some of the trub (sediment at bottom of fermenter) with the beer that it just fermented. Pour that slurry into sanitized jar(s), secure lid(s) loosely, then refrigerate. When you have a new brew ready to ferment, add some slurry and away you go. It really is easier than you probably would think. My first harvested yeast repitch seems to have proceeded quickly, as a week later fermentation activity appears done - but I will still let it sit for mother week or two, as is my custom.

I think I'll do exactly as you and Bob suggested. I keep a bread starter in the fridge. I'm going to experiment along the way to see how long I can keep some of it alive along the way. Thanks.. !

Instead of harvesting yeast from an already fermented beer, I just make a yeast starter before each brew, and save some of that in the fridge, so it's a very "clean" sample of that strain of yeast. Then I just use that small sample to begin the yeast starter for the next brew. Easy peasy.

You can also take a ladle or large spoon (sanitized of course) and scoop yourself some right off the top during high krausen.

You can also take a ladle or large spoon (sanitized of course) and scoop yourself some right off the top during high krausen.

Very true, although I figure why risk contamination. For me it's just easier to get the yeast harvesting done and stored for the future before I even pitch into the current brew. I've got several different strains to choose from in the fridge right now, and as long as I use them within a month or two, (or just make a new starter and save the new yeast) they are performing perfectly.

Very true, although I figure why risk contamination. For me it's just easier to get the yeast harvesting done and stored for the future before I even pitch into the current brew. I've got several different strains to choose from in the fridge right now, and as long as I use them within a month or two, (or just make a new starter and save the new yeast) they are performing perfectly.
I've been brewing a long time and don't harvest. Granted, it's a cost but I use new yeast every batch. I've tried yeast harvesting but seldom use the same strain batch-to-batch so the yeast I'd harvested went bad. But if I were to try it, I'd ferment in open fermentors (buckets) and skim from the top. Easiest and most sanitary, yields the cleanest yeast.

Instead of harvesting yeast from an already fermented beer, I just make a yeast starter before each brew, and save some of that in the fridge, so it's a very "clean" sample of that strain of yeast. Then I just use that small sample to begin the yeast starter for the next brew. Easy peasy.

Great idea.. how long will it last in the fridge?

month or two.. thanks.. ignore my last question.

This is my first post here, so I apologize if I'm a little off target.

I'm wondering if there is an issue with re-using slurry/yeast if you've introduced enzymes or nutrients to a brew? I've just bottled a Brut IPA in which I used Amylo-300 to lower the FG. (Finished at around 0.997) Could this lead to unwanted consequences in future brews? I'm about to salvage some slurry as we speak.

Thanks,
Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Point Pelee, the southernmost point in Ontario! Not far from me, but I have never been...

I harvested some Voss Kveik recently, then made a starter, and pitched into another batch. That brew is now pouring, and turned out great! Plan to harvest more from that batch this weekend, and do it all over again soon!

This is my preferred method, but in a pinch just do what Bob said. Swirl it up, scoop a sanitized jar of it, put it in the fridge.
Once you've done it a few times it is less intimidating.

month or two.. thanks.. ignore my last question.

I've had yeast in a jar a year old ferment like gang busters. Just make a starter for it before you use it. It's like anything else with this, it's more art than science so sometimes it will blow up in your face.

Back