malted Maize/corn vs flaked corn

KingPaul

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am working on a recipe for a Newcastle Brown Ale Clone, and the recipe I am working from askes for flaked corn (1.3SRM) My two LBS that I support doesn't stock flaked corn, but one of them do have Malted Maize. Are there a difference between the two?
Thanks

weather you're using flakes are not, "maze is corn", when a recipe calls for corn we almost always use flaked maze, anything else like whole grain malted or not might be ok but mostly used for whiskey or moonshine, I would use flakes myself

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
flakes are not maze is corn, when a recipe calls for corn we almost always use flaked maze
?????
:)

You should be able to use them equally.
The malting process accesses the starches for conversion as does the flaking process.
I'd make sure to use them both with a base grain to have enough enzymes for conversion though.
Good luck,
Brian

Thanx guys. Like I said it is a recipe for a Brown Ale. The recipe that I'm working from calls for 65% pale malt and 10%flaked corn and the rest specialty malts. Not so sure that I am happy with that many specialty malts, will have to rethink everything before I brew

when I make cream ale I just use corn meal and minute rice from the store, I have used flaked corn and flaked rice

I cannot tell the difference

all the best

S_M

Back