Fun with Isolation

The plateau that we seem to be at now could be the top of the curve if we stay the course with social distancing.
The plateau that we seem to be at now could possibly be the equivalent to north base camp on Everest.
I'm with you, the sooner we try to go back to normal, the longer it could take to actually get there.
No political views, or affiliations, just my humble thoughts:D

I'm back to work full time and one son is starting to ease back in as is my daughter. We are still living cautiously and practicing what is being recommended as I feel most out there are.
I'm all for opening up and getting things going again.

As long as my local home brew shop is available for curbside pickup, I am good working from home:)

Attachments

• 20190810_164009.jpg
    20190810_164009.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 105
The plateau that we seem to be at now could be the top of the curve if we stay the course with social distancing.
The plateau that we seem to be at now could possibly be the equivalent to north base camp on Everest.
I'm with you, the sooner we try to go back to normal, the longer it could take to actually get there.
No political views, or affiliations, just my humble thoughts:D

I'm glad people are remembering the Spanish Flu, but the number of people taking the lesson ass backwards is staggeringly high.

We feel extremely lucky in the fact that there have been no recorded cases in our county. Social distancing is relatively easy to do where we are as the largest town in the county is 2500 people. We make shopping lists and go to the store no more often than absolutely needed as do lots of other people. Obviously we have a different outlook with our surroundings than highly populated areas. However our concern about opening things up is we are resort type area, hunting, fishing, hiking etc. We already see people from out of state visiting and not following the present restrictions of travel. We would see an influx of travelers wanting to get away for a wknd and what better place than a county with no recorded cases? No we don't need to jump back to square 1 but the economy worldwide will suffer more the longer we stay behind closed doors. What sticks in my mind is how fast this spread. It could do that again very easily. 1+1=2 2+2=4 but as that continues 64+64= lots of cases quickly. We started at 1+1. We are now at128+128=256 so to speak so the chances of more cases at this point is very likely. Some restrictions could be eased but IMO we need to go very slowly and carefully. Until there is a vaccine COVID will be among us even if we all across the world do the right things, and we all know mankind makes mistakes. As Mark points out, the people we voted in or have been appointed have a huge weight on their shoulders right now.
Currently we have grain for 1 more batch. Will call the LHBS 100miles away and place an order for a sidewalk pickup (250# list made up). Will have the bottle shop next door add a few bottles for research purposes too. Do what you can to support local businesses. We all need to pitch in however we can.

More on the fun side, who plans on taking part of the big national Homebrew day this weekend? I won't be officially brewing as I'm full on everything right now. Kegs and fermenters are all spoken for! I will however have my Grainfather fired up working on some numbers that I'm still trying to hammer out.

I brewed this week, so my pipeline is pretty well stocked too. Just grabbed a sa k of basemalt and 4lbs of hops, I am GTG for a while. I do however plan to brew again in the somewhat near future, going to some bottling so I get real good and stocked up.

More on the fun side, who plans on taking part of the big national Homebrew day this weekend? I won't be officially brewing as I'm full on everything right now. Kegs and fermenters are all spoken for! I will however have my Grainfather fired up working on some numbers that I'm still trying to hammer out.
I will do a dark lager tomorrow. Taking today off to catch up some tasks like taxes and bottling and freeing up the fermentor. And couldn't take another remote meeting. Sounds a bit whiny when you think of all the people out of work but best to be honest with one's self

Didn't get the memo til just now!
Have grain enough for 1-10gal batch.
12#s 2 row
4#s munich
Honey malt?
Carapils?
C 40 60 75 120?
Assorted dark malts?
Needs recipe finished and a name. Plenty of a variety of hops.
Any suggestions?
Edit: Thought this belonged over here so re posted it.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/whats-your-next-brew.6688/page-34#post-104362

Last edited:
We went to wish someone a happy birthday, we all stood at the sidewalk and chatted for a bit. She loves my beer, brought her three bottles, each a different brew. Stayed and chatted for about 20 minutes.

Bringing this thread back to life. Seems covid is really ramping up again and I'm a actually in quarantine for awhile so it seems fitting (can you tell I'm bored).
I don't know that I've really done anything very fun today, other than maybe getting my whiskey barrel. But another thread has spurred me on to pull out my sourdough starter. I'm going to see if I can bring er back to life!

Wasn't it Herm that resurrected his starter after several months? Know someone posted they did that a few months back.

Sitting in my classroom with no kids is weird. Not hugging my grandparents sucks but I do see them once a week. Having to keep my 4 year old from hugging her grandparents and great parents is cruel. Knowing that people are hurting and dying while I’m in basically a bubble seems unhuman. No political stuff intended but I wish people would take care of each other and do what they can to contain this. My 4 year old wears a mask and doesn’t complain and. Knows to always have one on around my grandparents in case she could spread it to them. Adults could surely do the same

Sitting in my classroom with no kids is weird. Not hugging my grandparents sucks but I do see them once a week. Having to keep my 4 year old from hugging her grandparents and great parents is cruel. Knowing that people are hurting and dying while I’m in basically a bubble seems unhuman. No political stuff intended but I wish people would take care of each other and do what they can to contain this. My 4 year old wears a mask and doesn’t complain and. Knows to always have one on around my grandparents in case she could spread it to them. Adults could surely do the same
Yeah it's pretty mind boggling how stupid some people actually are. I mean we are almost a year in and some still just don't get it. I can't say that agree with how everything is handled, but I do try my best to comply in hopes that at some point this shit goes away.
My work has an app that you have to complete daily before reporting. It's incredibly disappointing when one of your co-workers not only lies about being exposed to positive cases but is also symptamatic. Incredibly stupid.

I think younger generations are going to be learning some lessons we should have, take some lessons from Japan and the rest of Asia and start making masks common when your sick.
I'm hoping to see my mom for Christmas but that is going to mean my wife and I spend most of December in self isolation so I don't put her at risk.
Our executives at work keep talking about going back into the office like normal at some point while we have solved the WFH issue for 90% of our staff, the responsible thing is for those of us who don't need to be there to not be there.

I'm in quarantaine as well. Counting down the days....
It's strange though as I travelled from Zambia where we have not a lot of cases (or at least we don't seem to die from it) and life is not really affected. Maybe our high temperatures have something to do with it (42+ oC (shade)), maybe all our other diseases that we have to battle every year (malaria, cholera being the major ones).
I don't know...
Anyway, I travelled to Holland with a current high infection rate and I get told that II am a high risk :(
So, quarantaine it is.
Got a big shop delivered with lot of Belgian blondes and triples, found a big stock of whisky and wine (staying in family members house, who is in hospital, not with corona, but with broken limb), so I suppose I will survive.
Being in a place that is not your own makes it extra weird

At least there is internet!!!

Stay safe everyone

Back