PUNK Recipe help..

beer1965

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.. this recipe: https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/punk-ipa-2010-current says in the bottom right to dry hop for 5 days at 14C / 57F. I brewed yesterday and the yeast is well at it. The recipe says ferment at 66F which I'm doing. Normally people add dry hops after krausen falls. But if I then drop temp to 57 I'm going to be just under the yeast temp range (I'm using US-05 as I couldn't get the 1056 in the recipe).

Should I :

(a) wait for a few days until kruasen falls, then reduce temp to 15C / 50F and then throw in the hops for five days as called for. But I'm in a carboy. So would you then move to secondary to get the beer off the traub/hops? I'd rather not use a secondary. Don't have a carb set up so will be bottling. Typically wait 4 weeks to be safe in my first few brews so I wouldn't have to keep taking samples for the hydrometer. Or,

(b) wait for a few days until kruasen falls, then reduce temp to 15C/57F , hop for 5 days then crank up temp back to 66F for the yeast and then just leave it for a few weeks, sample and bottle and not worry about leaving the hops in there that long?

Not sure what I should do. What would you do?

As always - thanks!

That says dry hop post fermentation so I would let it finish personally, then drop the temp and add the dry hops as per the recipe.Not that I'm an expert, by the way, that's just the way I would read that recipe.

What a brilliant company Brewdog are. That's a cracking beer too, hope you get somewhere close to it.

Don't bother with the secondary. Let the fermentation finish up, rest a couple days and then reduce the temp and add the dry hops.

If you are strapped for time you could let the krausen fall and add your dry hops while the yeast finish up and just keep the temp at the low end of your yeast range... 15C (is not too far off from 14C)...

Additionaly, I'm not sure how much of a difference 10 degrees F will make on the finished beer.... Then again, I don't drink IPAs really.

That says dry hop post fermentation so I would let it finish personally, then drop the temp and add the dry hops as per the recipe.Not that I'm an expert, by the way, that's just the way I would read that recipe.

What a brilliant company Brewdog are. That's a cracking beer too, hope you get somewhere close to it.

Really great beer. Had it for the first time two months ago and had to give it a try. I messed up on my initial water volume so I didn't get the OG needed, but it sure smelled good when I loaded the carboy!

What I don't' know is how long I can leave the hops in there. It calls for 5 days. So if I wait 7, then add the hops for 5, can I just leave them until i get to FG? Normally (only 4 other batches) I've left the carboy in the fridge for a month before bottling. Assuming it takes that long to get to FG that would mean the hops would have been in there for about 3 weeks.. I suspect too long?

Thanks.

Don't bother with the secondary. Let the fermentation finish up, rest a couple days and then reduce the temp and add the dry hops.

If you are strapped for time you could let the krausen fall and add your dry hops while the yeast finish up and just keep the temp at the low end of your yeast range... 15C (is not too far off from 14C)...

Additionaly, I'm not sure how much of a difference 10 degrees F will make on the finished beer.... Then again, I don't drink IPAs really.

Thanks - I'm not rushed for time. I'm wondering how long I can leave dry hops in. Will leaving them until I get to FG - about 3 weeks I guess - be too long and create off flavours? Thanks

Really great beer. Had it for the first time two months ago and had to give it a try. I messed up on my initial water volume so I didn't get the OG needed, but it sure smelled good when I loaded the carboy!

What I don't' know is how long I can leave the hops in there. It calls for 5 days. So if I wait 7, then add the hops for 5, can I just leave them until i get to FG? Normally (only 4 other batches) I've left the carboy in the fridge for a month before bottling. Assuming it takes that long to get to FG that would mean the hops would have been in there for about 3 weeks.. I suspect too long?

Thanks.

Honestly I would just stick to the recipe as closely as possible. I brew mostly English pales but use US05 often and it usually hits FG in a week or less. If the recipe says dry hop when fermentation is complete then that's what I would do, it shouldn't be taking three weeks though.

I would ferment it out. Drop it to the temp that the recipe calls for and dry hop. Cold crash for a few days and then keg/bottle and let it condition in the bottles. I don't want them sat on the trub for too long, but that's just my process.

Honestly I would just stick to the recipe as closely as possible. I brew mostly English pales but use US05 often and it usually hits FG in a week or less. If the recipe says dry hop when fermentation is complete then that's what I would do, it shouldn't be taking three weeks though.

I would ferment it out. Drop it to the temp that the recipe calls for and dry hop. Cold crash for a few days and then keg/bottle and let it condition in the bottles. I don't want them sat on the trub for too long, but that's just my process.

"in a week or less" - that's what I needed to know. I wasn't sure how long the yeast needed to do it's thing. Thanks so much!

Thanks - I'm not rushed for time. I'm wondering how long I can leave dry hops in. Will leaving them until I get to FG - about 3 weeks I guess - be too long and create off flavours? Thanks
I have read that extended periods of dry hop will give your beer grassy notes that are unpleasant. Your beer should be ready to dry hop by day 14 if not sooner.

Honestly, I don't dry hop much but have acheived good results with as little as 12 hours... The most I have ever done is 5 days. I think 3 is sufficient.
I have always just let the beer do it's thing and never added dry hops before FG was reached.

IMHO - following the recipe as close as possible might be best - take notes too if you do anything different than the recipe... Like yeast selection. Let the beer fininsh (post fermentation - like the recipe says) and then drop it as close to 57 as you can acheive and feel comfortable with given your yeast (low end of US-05 is 58 I beleive) and then dry hop for 5 days.

- Brew something else to keep your mind off it! I have to do that sometimes to keep me from racking something too soon!

Last edited:
Have you got any tools for measuring the gravity, like a hydrometer or refractometer? That will tell you definitely when it's finished. If not i'd give US-05 a week. For the length I wouldn't go past 5 days, so do the dry hop five days before you're free to package the beer. Even if that means a few days more than the first week.

There's nearly endless ways you can vary your dry hop to create different characters, but get that first batch done to have a starting point.

Have you got any tools for measuring the gravity, like a hydrometer or refractometer? That will tell you definitely when it's finished. If not i'd give US-05 a week. For the length I wouldn't go past 5 days, so do the dry hop five days before you're free to package the beer. Even if that means a few days more than the first week.

There's nearly endless ways you can vary your dry hop to create different characters, but get that first batch done to have a starting point.

I have a hydrometer. I'll check with that. I'll be bottling but at some point want to consider kegging my beer.. it's a rabbit hole of never ending things to buy and try.. thanks for your help.

Here is my experience with US-05, great yeast, very consistent.
It always gets to FG in about 5-7 days and always hits 1.010 for me. The yeast however needs another 5 to 7 days to, let's say, tidy up after itself. This being my experience, I forget about it for two weeks then check the gravity to confirm what I already know. The cold crash for 3 full days.
I usually dry hop an IPA like the punk when the keausen is just about done, day 3-4.
If it calls for a double dry hop, I would do that a few days later.

Do yourself a favor and try to make a beer inspired by the Punk. If you nail it great, if you don't nail it but you love it, you won't be disappointed.

Here is my experience with US-05, great yeast, very consistent.
It always gets to FG in about 5-7 days and always hits 1.010 for me. The yeast however needs another 5 to 7 days to, let's say, tidy up after itself. This being my experience, I forget about it for two weeks then check the gravity to confirm what I already know. The cold crash for 3 full days.
I usually dry hop an IPA like the punk when the keausen is just about done, day 3-4.
If it calls for a double dry hop, I would do that a few days later.

Do yourself a favor and try to make a beer inspired by the Punk. If you nail it great, if you don't nail it but you love it, you won't be disappointed.

Very much inspired by this beer and have some left over bits of hop that I plan on experimenting with, so lets see. Thanks!

NP
BTW, forgot to comment on secondary. I have never used a secondary. Completely unnecessary for an IPA, and US-05.

Back