Rejoice!

If you're willing to spend some money up front, look at SS Brewtech. Everything I've gotten from them is simply top notch. Prices are in line with Blichmann, et al, and the design and execution is as good as if not better than anything available.
If you want to start small and cheap, get a reasonable 10 gallon pot (definitely with ball valve for draining) and a good grain bag and do BIAB until you want to upgrade and expand. With a simple set up and a few carboys you can make plenty of very good beer.
I do 10 (actually 11) gallon batches in a 15 gallon 2 vessel set up with a pump plumbed for recirculation both ways. The 15 gallon vessels are absolutely maxed out for the batch size but having electric element boil capability really helps in controlling the initial boil and avoiding boil-overs.
Eventually upgrading to all-stainless fermenting vessels, preferably closed and pressure-rated will be helpful. Temperature control for fermentation is absolutely key so start with that and work backwards. ;)
Definitely second on the SS equipment. That’s pretty much all I use for fermentors at this point. 1 I i tank and several buckets. Love them.

Well when you do get going and the folks that downplay extract kits start whispering in your ear, remember this - extract kits are absolute time savers and will put out a pretty good product as well. By way of tallying up the instructions sheets kept from each batch I've brewed, I count 32 batches of extract kit beers I've made in about four years. Why? Because I get bored easily and just can't find the patience in me to brew for 8 - 10 hours in a day. My hat's off to those that enjoy that time, and I truly mean that with all due respect. But I enjoy taking half-a-Saturday for a quick brew and clean-up and then on to more important issues that weekends divulge like lawn mowing and snow shoveling... you know... important stuff. Anyway, my advice is to start out with extract kits to learn the basics. If it sticks with you, try moving on to all-grains...

or not. ;)

Got my first medals using an extract kit. They can make high quality beer. The process is more important.

My first 8 or so brews were simple extract kits. Nothing wrong with them. I like taking the time doing all grain, but it's definitely not for everyone.

My first beer was a kit, and even though it made decent beer, I switched to all grain BIAB from that point forward. I wanted to be more involved in the process of making the wort. Such a fun hobby.

I still do an extract from time to time. You can make some great sours with extract!

My first homebrew was extract, before there were kits. A can of LME and some hops with a recipe printed at the local printing press. F*#~ I’m old. That beer got used as slug bait. :eek:

I started with an all grain BIAB kit and mostly second hand stuff.
I skioped extract as all my suff had to comevin by plane in my suitcase ;)
Extract was just too heavy. So obviously is malt, but I managed to get to convince friends to take it back with them from S Africa.
Start simple, make smallish batches, keep notes

Hello all, its time to rejoice as I am taking the venture to start brewing some liquid courage. I have done quite a bit of research, I have brewed my own beer in college, and have help other's on their brewing set up; however, I do not know what a good "set-up" consists of. I am looking to start a brewing batch of 5-10 gallons.
My ultimate question is, what is some good equipment that I can purchase to start my at-home set up?
Does anyone have any suggestions? I have access to hydrometers, pH meters, and refractometers through work. I am looking more for suggestions on pails, sanitizing equipment, etc. Looking forward to suggestions! Thanks for reading :)

I would pick up a basic kit of bucket fermenters and what not as others have mentioned.
Additionally, I would grab a nice 5 to 10 gallon pot, a weldless valve and step bit to drill a hole out and install the valve- I say this because it will be forever useful and no matter what approach you take I think you'll find a use for it.
I moved from extract to, BIAB and then I got a Robobrew and I STILL use my original 5 gallon pot for sparge water!

Good luck!
These are just examples - I can't personally speak to any but the Ballington Pot - I bought an 8,10 and 15 Gallon set for 160 bucks years ago and love them. - Still, I use my original 5 Gallon pot more than any!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40-qt-Quar...-40/382041330508?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Stainl...450915&hash=item33f763876e:g:9i4AAOSwBGBc3cpe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-to-1-3...988574?hash=item3f2349f31e:g:n2AAAOSwxp9W10bW

I used the pot from my original extract starter kit today to sterilize Mason jars, and water for harvesting yeast. Still use the buckets, spoon, etc, every brew day!

Back