What's your next brew

Next up is a Viking 2-row Pale/Cascade SMASH Pale Ale. OG 1.051, 38 IBUs and weighing in at about 5.2% ABV. Fermenting with Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell slurry. Probably around the end of the week, once I get a bunch of yard work done and some veggies planted.

Doing a farmhouse dark lager today, should be interesting. Need to order a couple more kegs and some hops.
Didn't take you long to fall into the ease of kegging once you took the plung!;)

Didn't take you long to fall into the ease of kegging once you took the plung!;)
I am quite surprised by the quality improvement. I already took steps to keep as much oxygen as possible out of the beer but that last bit of air in the bottle's head space and the changes brought about by the bit of refermentation were enough to make a huge difference in the final product. I always thought there was little to no difference between beers bottle-conditioned and beers kegged. Have to admit I was wrong.

I am quite surprised by the quality improvement. I already took steps to keep as much oxygen as possible out of the beer but that last bit of air in the bottle's head space and the changes brought about by the bit of refermentation were enough to make a huge difference in the final product. I always thought there was little to no difference between beers bottle-conditioned and beers kegged. Have to admit I was wrong.
Have you had a chance to do side by side tests? I allways bottle a few if I get carried away with sparge water and while they are. good clean beer there is a difference imho.

Have you had a chance to do side by side tests? I allways bottle a few if I get carried away with sparge water and while they are. good clean beer there is a difference imho.
You're asking Mr. Science Geek if he'd done a side by side? First batch I kegged, I split, bottling half. It was a tested recipe, my Kentucky Common. The kegged beer was superior to me - didn't do a triangle test and look for statistical significance - Covid-19 showed up before I could get the test to the homebrew club. The kegged beer is brighter, sharper, the hops more pronounced, overall, cleaner, better beer. I would still recommend newbies bottle until they know they want to stay with the hobby (I recommend they do gallon batches, too).

Amen I've bottled a few lately and noticed a clear difference between draught and bottle.

I will sometimes bottle a basic brown ale but mostly kegging for me. My next beer will be a saison with hallertau/nelson hops I hope to get 1.052 OG and a ABV of 5.5%

Thinking my next brew will be another hoppy blond same sorta grist sane hornindal Kviek same tropical hops (Vic Secrete / mosaic and hopefully some Simcoe if I've got some left) but will scoop in a bunch of passionfruit pulp at whirlpool and let that pasturise the fruit addition and provide some flavour at same time hmmmm can't wait to taste it.

Definitely have list ready for the summer and early fall:

1. APA with citron & apricot
2. Tangerine witbier
3. Likely a basic shandy
4. Brown ale with acorn flour from my oak tree
5. Wee Heavy that I have been aging for 6 months on toasted grapevine

after this was posted recently I decided to brew this, Punk Ipa

Attachments

• PUNK IPA_04.29.2020.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 99
Bought a kit from my old LHBS, just as a little support in these tough times. Temps will likely be up into the 90s by the time it's done, so should be a good one for a hot day.

Attachments

• S&M Cream Ale.pdf
    910.5 KB · Views: 131
after this was posted recently I decided to brew this, Punk Ipa
Great beer, let us know how it comes out.
20200428_175205.jpg

Mentioned this in isolation post. Thought it may belong here instead. Last of base malts brew for National Home Brewing Day.
10gal batch
12# 2row
4# munich
Can add:
Carapils
Honey malt
C 40 60 75 120
Also some blackmalt, chocolate, pale chocolate,roast barley.
Lots of a variety of hops.
Needs a name too. Will brew this May 7th
Imaginative suggestions please. I want this to be fun!

Hmmmm, makes me want to brew a scotch ale...

Back