My recipes to be commented...

SE AULD HWAEL

Trial Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to comment any of my recipes, I need your feedbacks to improve my job. Thank you so much in advance for your time.

R011/2020 MÜNCHENHELLE BAVARIA
All Grains
Munich Helles

R001/2020 SCHWARZBIER MÜNCHEN
All Grain
Schwarzbier

R010/2020 WIESSBIER KREUTZBERG
All Grain
Weissbier

R009/2020 NEIPA MASSACHUSETTS
All Grain
American IPA

R003/2020 ENGLISH DRY STOUT BERKSHIRE
All Grain
Dry Stout

R006/2020 BOSTON LAGER BOYLSTON
All Grain
American Lager

R002/2020 IRISH RED ALE BENBULBEN
All Grain
Irish Red Ale

R008/2020 IRISH RED ALE TRALEE
All Grain
Irish Red Ale

R005/2020 ENGLISH PALE ALE NOTTINGHAM
All Grain
Standard/Ordinary Bitter

I'll bite on the Helles: Recipe is WAAYYYY too complex! Melanoidin malt tastes like ballpoint pen ink to me, the caramel malt has no place in the beer. You need pilsner malt, maybe acid malt to balance mash pH and if you like it (and I do), about 2-3% of the malt bill as carafoam. Hopping should work, although I find noble hops as late additions come out grassy, vegetal. My 2cents...

Irish/English Dry Stout:

Like Nosy said regarding the Helles, I think the grain bill for the Stout is also unnecessarily complicated. IMO, a dry Stout starts with 2-Row, Roast Barley and Flaked Barley. It could end there too, but a touch of chocolate can be a nice addition. Beyond that anything else would have to be defended in a court of law.
IBU's look good but I would move the dry hop to the end of the boil instead. You could also bitter with something a little more high in alpha acids like Nugget or Magnum and save your EKG.
Yeast is fine.

Best of luck no matter what you do!

Just a general note: It's easy to get carried away with complexity but, as we in the quality profession know, it's impossible to improve quality by adding it, all you're doing is increasing the number of opportunities for failure. Start layering too many flavors on and eventually you end up with a flavor that can best be described as "brown." A well-known Denver area brewer puts it this way: Five grains, three hops, no more. It's a rule of thumb but one that's served me well.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. Appreciated. By the way, Nosybear I have been living in Denver for one year! I also have Aurora Libraries Card. Best wishes.

I will chime in on the NEIPA
I would lose the first wort hops all together.
No need to boil for 60, make that 30 minutes.
Add you your 10 grams of Citra at 30 minutes.
First dry hop charge at high krauzen
(hope your fermenter has lots of head space, maybe use a blow off tube)
Second dry hop charge near the end of fermentation, but while fermentation is still active.
Hops may be the most expensive part of this recipe, you want to get your moneys worth!!!
The other thing I would suggest is to reverse your Chloride to Sulfate ratio, chlorides around 100, and sulfates around 50 will add to the haze you are looking for in a NEIPA.
S-04 is good, but if you can get VOSS Kveik, I highly recommend it.
If you do use the VOSS, ferment around 28-29C
You will dry hop 24 hours after pitch, and again 48 hours after pitch, VOSS works super fast.

My turn. I’ll take Boston lager.

First, it’s way too much “malty” malts and too much going on.

Choose a different basemalt, and lose the melanoidin and pale ale malt.

A good basemalt for this beer is Vienna malt since it will provide the malt sweetness that I find in that beer, but not 100% Vienna malt. I’d say a vienna/pilsner malt split, more vienna malt. A tiny bit of crystal 60L for the color and a hint of sweetness,

Definitely NO East Kent goldings in there or challenger hops. Go with standard noble hops like hallertauer or tettnanger, or maybe even a US hop like crystal hops (I like those in American lagers). Add enough at 60 minutes to get most of the IBUs, and then a tad at 5 minutes for the aroma.

English bitter

Again, no melanoidin malt! (Did you get a huge sack of it on sale?!- just kidding).
Simplify this grain bill, a lot.
For a British beer, use British base malt. I love maris otter, but the Scottish malt Golden promise is quite good as well.
Add some medium British crystal malt, maybe 5-10%. That’s it for the grainbill.
Here’s my recipe for a standard/ordinary bitter:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/887905

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. Appreciated. By the way, Nosybear I have been living in Denver for one year! I also have Aurora Libraries Card. Best wishes.
Aurora City Brew Club... send me your contact info and I'll get you on the list. Use private message. Next meeting is May 2nd using Zoom. Sorry to all others for the shameless plug...

Aurora City Brew Club... send me your contact info and I'll get you on the list. Use private message. Next meeting is May 2nd using Zoom. Sorry to all others for the shameless plug...
Ooooh, a list! Pretty exclusive club!

I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member.
Forget who said that, I think it was Mark Twain
I've heard it attributed to W. C. Fields but same thing. Truth be told, I'm a founding member of the AC/BC.

Back