Flanders Red

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try my hand at creating a Flanders Red. I plan on aging this 12-18 months depending on taste and possibly blending it back with another fresh beer or one that has only aged 6-8 months. I'm going to try to brew one of these ever 3 months or so to try different recipes and blends.

My plan for this one is to pitch wyeast 3763, add cherries at high krausen and then add a few ounces of medium french oak shaving to secondary(might soak in red wine first). For those of you who have made these types of brews am I making this too complicated? Will these flavors just muddle together and not be noticeable? Any other suggestions?

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.39%
IBU (tinseth): 10.32
SRM (morey): 15.84

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (44.6%)
2.75 lb - American - Vienna (22.3%)
2 lb - Belgian - Munich (16.2%)
16 oz - Belgian - CaraMunich (8.1%)
8 oz - Belgian - Special B (4.1%)
8 oz - Belgian - Unmalted Wheat (4.1%)
1.5 oz - Belgian - Chocolate (0.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 10.32

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min
2) Temp: 168 F, Time: 15 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp - irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Roeselare Ale Blend 3763

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Aurora, CO Municipal Water
Ca2: 37
Mg2: 8
Na: 45
Cl: 37
SO4: 53
HCO3: 142

Aren't Flanders Reds normally soured? I plan on doing one soon using a lacto starter - don't know exactly when....

Let me know how it comes out. I love the style and intend to do one but was going to go the lacto starter route. Not as authentic and likely less complex but much easier and quicker.

I was just told by one of the guys at the BrewHut that you can add dregs from another bottle and it will dramatically reduce the waiting time for souring. He said his was plenty sour in 4 months instead of 12+ months. I'm going to stick to the long slow route on this one but maybe the next try I'll do that or go the lacto approach.

I can do one better than telling you how it turns out. I'll give you a bottle to try if you like them. I only require honest feedback on the beer I hand out.

Sir, that I can promise you! See you March 20th for homebrew night?

My schedule is changing and I'll have Thursday nights off! So I WILL be able to make it to this one. :D I've already added it to my calendar to remind me. It works out really well since my wife will be bowling and I don't much care for bowling.

I noticed on the Brew Hut site that coffee is the specialty ingredient for the 20th. Are those going to be presented this time or for the next Homebrew night?

This one. I'll likely pass unless they count chicory as coffee, as I don't generally brew anything with coffee other than coffee.

Just put this into secondary where it will sit for the next year or so. It already smells amazing! Both the aroma and taste are of sweet cherries and a slight funk and tartness. I don't know if the tartness is coming from the cherries or the bacteria in it but I can't wait for it to sour even more and develop other flavors.

I wish the picture could show what this actually looks like but its close.

10150526_833645959985507_2109456902_n.jpg

I'm planning on putting some medium French oak chips in this. I was think about .5 to 1 oz to start with. I keep getting mixed information about how long and how much oak you should put in your beer. Anyone have good information on adding oak?

Update:

Appearance - very clear and may have lost a bit of the red color since I last checked it but it still has a nice reddish brown color.

Aroma - Reminds me of a Flander's red. :D Lots of dark cherries and a small amount of funk coming through and a bit a sourness in the nose as well.

Taste - Thick mouth feel...sickness? cherry flavor is still there but it hasn't become sour yet. Only a slight bit of sour/tartness is there and that could be from the cherries. Small about of Brett character is coming through as well. This reminds me of a watered down Duchesse de Bourgogne.

So far all of the flavors I'm looking for are there and it just needs more time to develop further. There is still positive pressure in the carboy with small bubbles in the airlock. The Brett and bacterial are done playing yet. A pellicle hasn't formed yet but there is a slight flim on the top. I'm also currently soaking 1oz of French oak shavings in Amarone wine. These will be going in soon.

It sill looks about the same as before, except now there's a line white film on top. I think its just now starting to sour. :D I won't try it again for a while but I did add some oak shards that soaked in some red wine in there. Starting with .5oz right now and if it isn't enough I'll add another .5oz later. This thing smells awesome!

Back