Whos on team #NOCHILL

Done something similar today so abandoning the no-chill method. Down to 55c with an immersion chiller and then a slow transfer into the fermenter that should get the job done quite quickly. The waste water breaks my heart but the risk to the beer outweighs that now for me.

I think the Brulosophy post was the tipping point, some of the problems he describes are what I'm experiencing, very bitter and all the subtlety of the late addition hops absent.

I'm resigning my spot on team No-Chill as of today :(

Interesting Idea. If you boil long enough to drive off dms and make sure that the lid has a decent seal that sounds like a great idea. I might have to try that. I won't have to clean out another vessel if I use the boil kettle. Yay! Why oh why didn't I think of that!

I've just dumped two batches that I did like that. Very bitter with the late addition hops just absent from the flavour and a weird fruity/grassy taste which was really not nice. Also an apparent theoretical chance of botulism developing which really isn't a word I want in my life.

I'm brewing subtle English pales so that's a factor in the flavour issues I'm experienceing, other beers may not be quite so beat up by it.

The waste water breaks my heart but the risk to the beer outweighs that now for me.

I have a stainless steel fermenter with a cooling coil built in. I dump the boiling wort into the fermenter (even though the vessel is clean, this pretty much guarantees that it is sanitized). I connect the cooling coil to a chilled water reservoir that I have in my keezer next to the fermenter. It cools down quickly with no water wasted as it recycle through the reservoir in the keezer.

Well I tried the "no chill" method yesterday. It took more than 7 hours to get from 175F (whirlpool hops temp) to 70F. Just pitched the yeast an hour ago. Not sure if the constant checking the temp of the cooling the wort is worth it vs using my immersion chiller with ice in a cooler method. I did have less equipment to clean but the "no chill" method might be a one and done!
Your supposed to just leave it overnight

I just did my first all grain brew 3 or 4 weeks ago. I did it no chill and am now sampling it, i have none of the issues you guys are talking about, i have a clean, clear, citrus, florally brew that is actaully not very bitter at all, its almost a session brew. All that i did was shift the 60 min addition to 40mins. Going foward for a ipa i would actually add a 60 min for a bit more bitterness

I just did my first all grain brew 3 or 4 weeks ago. I did it no chill and am now sampling it, i have none of the issues you guys are talking about, i have a clean, clear, citrus, florally brew that is actaully not very bitter at all, its almost a session brew. All that i did was shift the 60 min addition to 40mins. Going foward for a ipa i would actually add a 60 min for a bit more bitterness
A popular Aussie YouTube Vlogger Gash Slug regularly cubes his brews some IPAs hoppy pales ect and from what I've watched in his tasting videos looks like no negative impacts whatsoever.

A popular Aussie YouTube Vlogger Gash Slug regularly cubes his brews some IPAs hoppy pales ect and from what I've watched in his tasting videos looks like no negative impacts whatsoever.

I think it's maybe an art in itself to get it right, re-timing hop additions and understanding the impact of the slow temp drop.

I think it's maybe an art in itself to get it right, re-timing hop additions and understanding the impact of the slow temp drop.
Yes definitely I honestly think lager beers are more suited to cubing because your not relying on them volatile hop oils.
Each to their own Steve;).
Think of it as a handu brew tool if your stuck for time and your brew is a pretty straight forward one no chill is by no means a bad option.

The bittering issues with no chill are likely around isomerization of hop oils. Your 60 minute additions are nearly completely converted by the time you transfer to the cube. However, the 10, 20, and 30 minute additions will continue to isomerize the alpha acids until the temperature drops below about 180 F. This means a 1 oz. 60 minute addition along with a 1 oz.10 minute addition will have the same bitterness as a 2 oz. 60 minute addition of you're using the same hop.

I think the style most suited (with no recipe modification) for the no chill method are those without late hop additions. These recipes would not alter the IBU's very much using no chill.

Last edited:
That makes sense and seems like something to test out. Someone get on that!

Back