Bread Thread!

Ben!!?? Really?? Rona...as in "co-RONA" as in COVID19 as in why we have problems like below:rolleyes::rolleyes:....Dude...please tell me you get Dad Jokes and you were just a little in your cups when you posted that! :confused::D:D

https://slate.com/business/2020/04/yeast-shortage-supermarkets-coronavirus.html

I can see it now, a molasses shortage as people stuck at home attempt to make yeast.....anyone doing home schooling right now should use this article a Economics 101 course for your teenagers going through social withdraw
I have a feeling economists will be dissecting this for some time. Haven't named my starter, though. Molasses? Really? All you need for a starter is water, flour and about a week's time.

It just occurred to me that I should name mine MOAB: Mother of All Bread.

It just occurred to me that I should name mine MOAB: Mother of All Bread.

Too bad you're not a mountain biker who lives in Utah! You'd get bonus points on that one for TRIPLE Entendre! I'm thinking of going more Biblical in name my 2 starters, Rachel and Sarah..Rachel for the one made from Rye flour and Sarah for the one from Spent Grain.

Guess mine is named Starter. That's the label I put on the jar when it went into the fridge so II can distinguish between it and the discards.

Too bad you're not a mountain biker who lives in Utah! You'd get bonus points on that one for TRIPLE Entendre! I'm thinking of going more Biblical in name my 2 starters, Rachel and Sarah..Rachel for the one made from Rye flour and Sarah for the one from Spent Grain.
Just a skier who lives in Colorado. I'm sure there's a run out there somewhere named "Sourdough."

I've got a sourdough rye going from the Tartine book. I'm adding dill weed, and caraway and dill seed to the mix.

I've got a sourdough rye going from the Tartine book. I'm adding dill weed, and caraway and dill seed to the mix.

Sounds tasty!
I just switched over to Forkish's starter recipe, using my active starter, just an hour out of the fridge, as a base. Was surprised at how low the hydration was, but it almost tripled in volume in about 10 hours. Did the second feeding this morning and will be mixing the final dough for his Field Blend #1, subbing in more wheat for the rye, this afternoon.

Sounds tasty!
I just switched over to Forkish's starter recipe, using my active starter, just an hour out of the fridge, as a base. Was surprised at how low the hydration was, but it almost tripled in volume in about 10 hours. Did the second feeding this morning and will be mixing the final dough for his Field Blend #1, subbing in more wheat for the rye, this afternoon.
The Biga recipe in that book is my favorite. Makes great bread and pizza.

I think for my next trick, I'll do a rye bread made from pumpernickel grits. Tasty!

I forgot to pre heat the pyrex pot so this is straight naked on the stone with a cup of water poured in the bottom pan for the steam.
20200417_173937.jpg

ybgyzWCt322vt0ECAohSfn99h_Zl8E1hOFDdcgsMZ17gJAd51GpiH5fwglS5Z1qKA456D9oiIFWoPxvF1rUnMPtSQ3DyHyKs2kvEJt5R2y-eG-YdvtLwMwTxMcczNLa2CQQ00VkrIV78ok22YG-8HqqQJKPtZ8Wxkg7ItVpQMPIbTRXrFIbh1x2cLzYjuDKbUTawekXTOHk-zMgvCK3zuiUaF9sQ4RdGB8OSMyaMsMbPkQ1mIH-MzWdCBD4P81WpjjXD7h6DtDZoQtzHcBwXCbu3UtsUjskfAoQNseHsKBkbtaOuRREpPDBC80j7OB9itvGVP2fPLmBMKMII2bsQrTjBvRLtY4fSgU0JVRc87F9Iu03I8gRhRXoO77H9k9MiO3LvNY4UsAm3y1phrbnKUZ9QpwQXYWtbyZ4uECFSYAThbos3FgrhBEXny6IVha7aicGVdsB1PUfYAu_ZQSPx_d2RlwJ3aL_5gpKRdLF6egX6_Ycix4qQIRBKnbP7ENjOXCMJP11jWLUa6NJxK6ysHbZJ6WQwR0ucH8OgQz2Nbk20IcSTlKfqPC9lSjJfy0vyOYoI8AEs0rkrJSnnwmZoRpUIgE0kk_VwdFwJ3mrpjyGjlMdl-38XYV_kYHniLthHe2DYqzeIiBZgz6q6A885zY5paO79jySkdy_R121kbEUaiRfqvGT_aaY3_05eLg=w456-h608-no

My 1st Pretzels. I need to let them soak in the baking soda bath a little longer. I only just dunked them for a few seconds.
Really tasty though!
Cheers!
Brian

Those are real nice!
I was watching a video where a home baker added lava rock to a pan while pre-heating the oven, then, right before adding the bread he'd pour water into the pan creating lots of steam. I thought it was pretty creative.

Those are real nice!
I was watching a video where a home baker added lava rock to a pan while pre-heating the oven, then, right before adding the bread he'd pour water into the pan creating lots of steam. I thought it was pretty creative.
I have tried the lava rock technique as well, I learned it from this book https://www.amazon.ca/Bread-Illustrated-Step-Step-Bakery-Quality-ebook/dp/B01D7CEGPM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Z3KIOWOXM45M&keywords=bread+illustrated&qid=1587150766&sprefix=bread+ill,aps,159&sr=8-1 which is a good place to begin for aspiring home bakers. I now find it easier, though not quite as effective, to simply mist the loaf with water just before it goes in the oven.

I have tried the lava rock technique as well, I learned it from this book https://www.amazon.ca/Bread-Illustrated-Step-Step-Bakery-Quality-ebook/dp/B01D7CEGPM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Z3KIOWOXM45M&keywords=bread+illustrated&qid=1587150766&sprefix=bread+ill,aps,159&sr=8-1 which is a good place to begin for aspiring home bakers. I now find it easier, though not quite as effective, to simply mist the loaf with water just before it goes in the oven.
Hey thanks!
Looks real nice @BOB357. I formed my loaves last night and fermented in the fridge overnight. Made a big difference in the taste imo that I am very happy with.

Back