Whats up

Kenny.brews

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi
Im a 35 yo guy from the South Island of New Zealand. Currently in level 4 lock down. We are also coming into winter, gets pretty cold here. Was 3 degC this morning when i went to the car. I brewed extrext around 2014 did a few play arounds adding hop teas etc. mainly brewed coopers kits and actually made some decent beers. This time i have got myself a second hand ked, vut the top out, added a ball valve and electric element. Its only 2.2kw but being on this side of the world and having voltage im sure its faster than your 110volt stuff (american electrics = cringe) I do single vessel BIAB and have my first all grain in the bottle

South Island? You're way down there on the other side of the world aren't you? Never been but it looks beautiful from what I've seen, we got as far as Wellington in 2017; spectacular country you folks have.

Welcome to the forum. There's an amazing amount of knowledge here, I'm sure you will find it as helpful as I have.

Hi
Im a 35 yo guy from the South Island of New Zealand. Currently in level 4 lock down. We are also coming into winter, gets pretty cold here. Was 3 degC this morning when i went to the car. I brewed extrext around 2014 did a few play arounds adding hop teas etc. mainly brewed coopers kits and actually made some decent beers. This time i have got myself a second hand ked, vut the top out, added a ball valve and electric element. Its only 2.2kw but being on this side of the world and having voltage im sure its faster than your 110volt stuff (american electrics = cringe) I do single vessel BIAB and have my first all grain in the bottle
Gday From Sunny SEQLD my fellow Neighbor guess what either you copied me or i copied you haa i brew single vessel in keg with lid cut off.
I run two elements via power whatt meters one keg king element the other just a standard kettle element. Im averaging 83% brew house out of mine with an ultra fine crush using the biab bag in the kettle at mash time. I use a pump to recirculate the mash liquor but i run the inlet hose around the mash bag not into it because of thenfine crush size (i find it to much dicking around to get right valve control on pump outlet). I use an STC1000 with probe dangled into the keg for temp control i hook this up before the power whatt meter so i can dial back wattage to thenkegking element whilst mashing. This helps two fold A limits temp swings to within the degree Centigrade and stops any biab bag scortch if its resting on the element (which most times it is).

Glad to have you on board:)

Gday From Sunny SEQLD my fellow Neighbor guess what either you copied me or i copied you haa i brew single vessel in keg with lid cut off.
I run two elements via power whatt meters one keg king element the other just a standard kettle element. Im averaging 83% brew house out of mine with an ultra fine crush using the biab bag in the kettle at mash time. I use a pump to recirculate the mash liquor but i run the inlet hose around the mash bag not into it because of thenfine crush size (i find it to much dicking around to get right valve control on pump outlet). I use an STC1000 with probe dangled into the keg for temp control i hook this up before the power whatt meter so i can dial back wattage to thenkegking element whilst mashing. This helps two fold A limits temp swings to within the degree Centigrade and stops any biab bag scortch if its resting on the element (which most times it is).

Glad to have you on board:)
Cool, sounds very similar to me. i have the keg king element but i dont have the power meter to regulate the power, either on or off. i seemed to manage it on my first brew. only turned it on for very short periods at a time, seemed to work ok. i may work on a pump at some point it depends if the hassle is worth it. alot of people say they get good results with biab no sparge etc

South Island? You're way down there on the other side of the world aren't you? Never been but it looks beautiful from what I've seen, we got as far as Wellington in 2017; spectacular country you folks have.

Welcome to the forum. There's an amazing amount of knowledge here, I'm sure you will find it as helpful as I have.
yeah its pretty nice. i get to work in some amazing places at times. sometimes Mckenzie district and tekapo. it really is amazing. we are really enjoying not having all the asian tourists on our roads atm, for their driving and the air has got way clearer

Cool, sounds very similar to me. i have the keg king element but i dont have the power meter to regulate the power, either on or off. i seemed to manage it on my first brew. only turned it on for very short periods at a time, seemed to work ok. i may work on a pump at some point it depends if the hassle is worth it. alot of people say they get good results with biab no sparge etc
The pump just helps regulate mash temp and also keeps the wort moving across the element on the way to the boil. Once boiling i switch it off until putting the chiller in 15 to go.

Be careful of scorching on the element is all i can say kegland sell a pretty cheap power whatt meter that can help reduce this risk ive found.

Heres a pic of the ramshackle rig here.
20200415_203915.jpg

The pump just helps regulate mash temp and also keeps the wort moving across the element on the way to the boil. Once boiling i switch it off until putting the chiller in 15 to go.

Be careful of scorching on the element is all i can say kegland sell a pretty cheap power whatt meter that can help reduce this risk ive found.

Heres a pic of the ramshackle rig here.View attachment 9589
nice, i found after my first brew a little bit of hop matter stuck to the element but not burnt or overboard. i might look into a controller. stuff can be a pain in the ass to scource in new zealand especially in current times, im a sparky anyway so may work something out. I dont even have a chiller yet. just let it cool a little and dumpt it into a food grade bucket, seal her up. good as gold. "no chill method" came from aussie i believe. I dont think it actually makes a huge difference. i just alter my hop additions. and hey theyve been making beer for hundereds of years. do you think they had a counter flow chiller in 1800 or some shit

nice, i found after my first brew a little bit of hop matter stuck to the element but not burnt or overboard. i might look into a controller. stuff can be a pain in the ass to scource in new zealand especially in current times, im a sparky anyway so may work something out. I dont even have a chiller yet. just let it cool a little and dumpt it into a food grade bucket, seal her up. good as gold. "no chill method" came from aussie i believe. I dont think it actually makes a huge difference. i just alter my hop additions. and hey theyve been making beer for hundereds of years. do you think they had a counter flow chiller in 1800 or some shit
Amen yep sure did even if you guys invented it we'd claim it as our own like the pavlova :D!
Main thing kenny is your having fun brewing which it sounds your doing ;)

Greetings from cold Colorado - they tell us it is supposed to be getting warmer this time of year! I hope you find the information and answers you need here.

The land of hockey pucks, maple syrup, and Neil Young welcomes you to Brewers Friend!
Just starting to warm up here, but we could get this weather through to the end of May before it starts to get real nice.
weather.JPG

Yeah it's still freezing overnight here.

The land of hockey pucks, maple syrup, and Neil Young welcomes you to Brewers Friend!
Just starting to warm up here, but we could get this weather through to the end of May before it starts to get real nice.
View attachment 9592
We are just coming into winter now/ end of autumn. We do get some amazing days. Its pretty mild here im sure compared to so,me places in the states. It doesnt snow where i live
upload_2020-4-16_9-0-29.png

Welcome Kenny from sunny Southern California. I too am a single vessel BIAB brewer who bottles. Lots of good information to be found here, provided by helpful home brewers. Cheers!

Welcome from your side of the equator, although a different continent alltogether :).
We are also supposed to go into winter, but last couope days, it's been 42 oC!
Been in NZ a number of times. Beautiful country. I travelled North and South island.

Anyway, welcome from the Zambezi Valley (Zambia)

Welcome from your side of the equator, although a different continent alltogether :).
Been in NZ a number of times. Beautiful country. I travelled North and South island.

Anyway, welcome from the Zambezi Valley (Zambia
42deg C no thanks lol. ive never even been near that heat and i would rather not. the hottest roughly on record are 42C

Anyway, welcome from the Zambezi Valley (Zambia)
42deg C no thanks lol. ive never even been near that heat and i would rather not. the hottest roughly on record are 42C

Back