Bread Thread!

Working through Ken Forkish book. Happy with my first two loaves.
View attachment 9533 View attachment 9532

Great endorsement. I just bought the Kindle version and read the intro while waiting for a loaf to finish in the oven. Just pulled the loaf. Didn't get hardly any spring, but it smells good. Looks like I need to stick my nose in the book and find out where I went wrong.
Loaf.jpg

Great endorsement. I just bought the Kindle version and read the intro while waiting for a loaf to finish in the oven. Just pulled the loaf. Didn't get hardly any spring, but it smells good. Looks like I need to stick my nose in the book and find out where I went wrong.View attachment 9535
Looks good to me bob surely makes a hald decent slice as long as you can fit some bacon and eggs on there i call if good:)

I really like that book. It's helped me make some great bread. I also have the Tartine book, and it's alright. Way over rated though and lots of food recipes that I could care less about.
I'm trying my hand at making dinner rolls for our Easter meal planned for tomorrow.
I had that tartine book on my shortlist. So far think I made the right choice with Ken’s book.

Those are nice looking rolls. One of my next baking projects is hamburger buns. I'd be happy if they looked like bigger versions of your dinner rolls.

Those are nice looking rolls. One of my next baking projects is hamburger buns. I'd be happy if they looked like bigger versions of your dinner rolls.
I'll have to join you on that quest. It's really hard to find a decent hamburger bun.

Here's a recipe for whole wheat hamburger buns (makes 8). Family loves them! It's a bread machine recipe, dough cycle:
1 cup water
1 egg
2 cups white flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening (I use butter flavored)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast

Use dough cycle. When finished, divide into 8 roughly equal pieces (about 4 ounces each). Form each piece into a mini boule, mash down slightly, place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and let rise until almost doubled. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a rack, slice when ready to serve.

The recipe will also make 12 hot dog buns (or 8 whole-wheat bratwurst buns). Instead of a boule, form into a roll. Follow remaining instructions.

Was thinking of a brioche. Think there's a recipe in Forkish's book.
I'm pretty sure white hamburger buns are a Brioche. You can make them out of pretty much any reasonably firm dough, really, it's just a question of shaping.

I'm pretty sure white hamburger buns are a Brioche. You can make them out of pretty much any reasonably firm dough, really, it's just a question of shaping.

Traditional brioche is very high in egg and butter content and often used milk/cream as part of the hydration.

Back