CO2 absorption

BDgrainbrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewed an IPA with an OG of 1.80, and a bit bitter @ 108.8 IBU"s. Tried the first one after 2 weeks bottle conditioning (carbonating) for 2 weeks, and it has very little fizz. I used 4.5 oz. of priming sugar to a 5 gallon batch, and bottled using a bottling bucket. I have heard that it may take longer to carbonate, but I thought that 2 weeks should have been long enough. Am I good, or do I need to be concerned about this batch? Is an IPA heavy enough to require more time to carbonate? Thanks for your thoughts, and brewers expertise! Cheers~

the higher gravity beers will take longer to carbonate just because there are more solids to attach to, as for the ratio i'm not sure I stopped bottling well before the high gravity beers became popular

I always check at 1 week, 2 week and 3 week and go to fridge as soon as they are ready. Have had beers that appeared to be going nowhere at 2 weeks, but at 3 weeks were ready. Let them sit another week, likely it carbs.

Your answers are very much appreciated, and highly regarded! Have a good Labor Day weekend.

Not sure how you added your sugar, but I have had an issue when just putting it in the bucket and then racking over and the sugar not getting mixed well, so now it gets stirred every time. What I have seen is that if I don't stir it a bit, is that the sugars are still at the bottom of the bucket and only part of your beers get carbonated.

And those that do get carbonated are potential bottle bombs. It's a safety issue, guys. Always stir your priming sugar into the beer well. Or the few overcarbonated bottles from the bottom of the bucket can explode and throw a good bit of shrapnel around your storage area.

Boiled 2 cups of water and mixed 4.5 oz. of priming sugar into that to let cool. I did rack on top, and gave it a little swirl at the end. Finally the IPA is starting to come to life (carbonating), and the flavor has improved noticeably in the third week bottle conditioning. Brewing a Texas Red today, and looking forward to the finished product already! Cheers~

Back