Grain storage

I store base malts in 5 gallon buckets with regular lids. Specialty malts are kept in the plastic bags they came in. Once opened, the bags are taped shut and stored in a plastic bucket as well and generally used within 3 to 6 months. None of these grains are milled until I'm ready to use them, but I would treat milled grains the same.

I like the bucket idea for base malts. I have a couple totes, one for two row, and one for maris otter, then I have containers for adjuncts. I need to stock up on flaked oats, and flaked wheat, used them all up yesterday! Rice hulls in the bag you see there.
20200408_094107.jpg

20200408_094115.jpg
20200408_094121.jpg
20200408_094124.jpg

Rubbermaid totes with locking tops personally. Vittles Vaults are ridiculously expensive here and I had a bunch of these from all the times I moved when i was younger.

I’ll second the vittles vault. I use a few of the 60#, and a couple of the kids on some 5gal homer buckets.

I like the bucket idea for base malts. I have a couple totes, one for two row, and one for maris otter, then I have containers for adjuncts. I need to stock up on flaked oats, and flaked wheat, used them all up yesterday! Rice hulls in the bag you see there.
View attachment 9430
View attachment 9431 View attachment 9432 View attachment 9433
Looks like you keep a pretty decent assortment. Other than your base malts, how much do you stock for your adjuncts and whatnot?

Im using large zip lock bags for specialty malts atm and storing them in storage containers.
Large base malt bags i pour into large storage containers and leave whats left in bag until i use it.

I keep anywhere between 1 and 25 kg of specialty malts depending how often I use them.

20200409_162016.jpg
Pic ill elaborate on why i put my specialty grains in ziplock bags in that storage tub pictured is that i found some little bugs in a bag of Rye malt i was going to use in a brew that was stashed in that tub.

Gave me a bit of a scare like ok i gotta separate each out individually so can get cross contamination if one goes bad id hate them all to go bad!

Let me be your lesson learned one of my greatest achievements in life is making plenty of mistakes to learn from lol.

Looks like you keep a pretty decent assortment. Other than your base malts, how much do you stock for your adjuncts and whatnot?
The taller rubbermaid containers hold around 8 pounds, the shorter wider ones hold about 4 lbs.
I roughly eye up how much to order to refill them when they get low.

Back