Airlock stopped bubbling after 2 days of aggressive bubbles

zlehmann

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've made about batches of all grain beer so far in my short life as a homebrewer. Each time I've been afraid of over aerating the wort before pitching the yeast because I didn't want to get an infection. And each time I think I've had some weird flavors as a result of the yeast not having enough oxygen to get going.

So...

This batch I shook that damned bucket for a good couple of minutes and the airlock was bubbling like crazy for 2-3 days straight. Now it's pretty much stopped. Was wondering if that is a fairly common thing? Will wait for 2 weeks before kegging either way but wanted some expert advice.

Thanks!

Re: Airlock stopped bubbling after 2 days of aggressive bubb

There is now way you can over aerate the wort. You can only reach 8ppm by shaking the bucket. Some yeast are very fast reaching the stationary phase, some take longer. Inactivity in the air lock does not mean the yeast is not working. Give it 7-10d and measure the SG.

I actually can prove that, I aerate the crap out of it. after years of trying to figure out why something is missing I finally started changing one process at a time and finally came to changing aerating the wort. I now have a measurement to go by "with 6.5 gallon buckets only" that works for me and has never let me down. I clean 2 buckets then chill my wort to 60 then pour it in one, I pour my starter in the second then dump the 5.5 gallons on top of it, I then dump back on fourth until the foam reaches the top of one, thats the final vessel I use to ferment leaving about 3 to 4 inches of foam inside, fermentation starts hours from then literally "with a good healthy starter"

A regular ale req. about 8-10ppm, other types like, lagers and high gravity beer need more (12-14ppm). So if anything changed, I think you are now getting more oxygen into the solution. To reach more then 8ppm you need to insert pure oxygen from a tank.

Ok great that is reassuring. Like I said I had a suspicion that I had been under-aerating. Now that the result is different I'm hoping the beer comes out the way it's supposed to for once.

Thanks for the replies! I'll try to remember to post an update when I move it to the keg.

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
I actually can prove that, I aerate the crap out of it. after years of trying to figure out why something is missing I finally started changing one process at a time and finally came to changing aerating the wort. I now have a measurement to go by "with 6.5 gallon buckets only" that works for me and has never let me down. I clean 2 buckets then chill my wort to 60 then pour it in one, I pour my starter in the second then dump the 5.5 gallons on top of it, I then dump back on fourth until the foam reaches the top of one, thats the final vessel I use to ferment leaving about 3 to 4 inches of foam inside, fermentation starts hours from then literally "with a good healthy starter"

^ All that and no infections .. being clean and sanitary is certainly important, but sometimes I think there is so much written about avoiding infections that newer brewers actually miss opportunites to make better beer for fear of having such issues. I consider my brewing life "young" as well (only a couple of years), but have found the process to be a bit more forgiving than what is perceived when one first starts reading and absorbing all the precautionary stuff and warnings about getting infected beer. .... (now I'll have my very next beer get nasty on me) :D

It also depends on what you're brewing, the health of your yeast, the temperatures, etcetera. I just bottled an Oktoberfest today which only bubbled aggressively for 2-3 days. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not; I use a 5-gallon plastic bucket with a lid and perhaps the gasket wasn't providing a perfect seal. OG was 1.055, it reached 1.010 after 5 days, waited 2 more days with no change in gravity, and I brought it down to the basement for 2 more weeks before bottling.

I've had lots of bubbles in the airlock for a week straight, and sometimes for just a couple of days which quickly reduced to the occasional 'bloop' every 2 minutes or so. Keep an eye on it, sample it to check the gravity, maybe try bumping your temp up a couple of degrees if you're really concerned. If it turns out okay, I guess you can chalk it up to one of those weird experiences to refer back to in the future.

I had the same issues years ago an now Ive went away from airlocks, 1-the opening is only 1/8th of an inch "too small" 2- too much pressure builds up underneath sometimes and pops up the lid slowly leaking fooling you. so now I use 1/2" silicone hose into a clear jar of star-sans, bubbles up just the same and no problems at all now

Attachments

• carboys.gif
    carboys.gif
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,539

Back