Kettle Deadspace?

lucianthorr

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is kettle deadspace in the equipment profile referring to the deadspace in the mash tun or the dead space in the boil kettle?
And depending on the answer, how would you setup an equipment profile with the following losses?
- 2.25g lost in the bottom of the mash tun
- 2.25g lost in the bottom of the boil kettle
- 0.5g lost in the tubing and counterflow chiller between boil kettle and fermenter
optional:
- 0.5g lost in tubing between recirculation tubing

It sorta sucks that I've got ~5 gallons of losses when I'm mostly making 5 gallon batches but it's spread throughout the HERMs system. So generally, I shoot for a preboil volume of 10 gallons, post-boil 8.5gallons and then after the 2.75 lost between boil and fermenter, I get the 5.5gallons in the fermenter.

I'm just not sure how the calculators work enough to get the numbers in the right places in brewersfriend.
Thanks for all the help!

Boil kettle. Anything left behind including trub and hop debris. If you dump into your fermentor, it's zero. How are you losing that much in the bottom of your tun and kettle? I'm sensing a missing dip tube to pick stuff up under a false bottom.... My total losses are around a quart.

My setup was bought used and definitely tweaked over the years before he sold it so there's no tell what was supposed to be under the false bottom. You're right that there's no dip tube. Just a weird screen thing that filters out anything that makes it through the false bottom.
I'll typically just tip the mash tun to help drain it if I can't get the boil kettle up to the intended volume... but you're right to think that strategy requires mashing/sparging with more water than necessary.

Back