co2 volume?

goatee

Trial Member
Reaction score
since i am beyond bored and still waiting for supplies to come, i thought about doing a smaller batch (2.5 gallons or less) and use priming sugar for the carb. so i go to the calculator and its asking for co2 volume.. i have no clue. i threw in a couple different number just to see and i was getting 1.5oz to 2.1oz... not a big difference but,, since im here i thought id ask.. what is that? how do i calculate it?

there are a few other things (that i cant think of right now) i was looking around at other calculators to get a better idea of what to do with this,,oh yeah! mash/water ratio stuff. i think im going to end up around 6.5lbs of grain, so 2 gallon of mash water. so i transfer to ferment vessel and sparge a half of a gallon?

i remember going through some of them (calculators) and they want to know how much it will be. idk. im guessing 2.5 because thats all my ferment will hold. its not real important.. im making this with extra stuff from another "real" batch i will be doing in the future.. this one is going to be stuff i have around the house. 18.25oz of quaker oats.. 5.35oz of raisen bran!!!! vannila almond baby!!! .5oz of both vienna and munich malt 4lbs of 2 row. 4 different kinds of hops added at different times.

i'll call it, GOAT SODA. from all the oats in it and i am a big fan of "the big lebowski". he orders a couple of "oat sodas"
and im goatee so,,,,,,could end up being the greatest beer know to man!!!! or a bucket of shite..

probably the later of the two. its a quarantine beer. what do you want?

but anyway,,, whats the co2 volume of what i expect to 2.5 gallons of shite?

Missing a variable: 2.5 gallons at how many vols (volumes) of CO2. You set the volumes by style. Based on the maximum temperature reached, your beer has a certain amount of CO2 before priming - calculators attempt to determine this. Then the calculator calculates the amount of additional CO2 you need and the amount of sugar needed to reach that. So if you're using 2.5 vols (a good standard, unless you have a stylistic reason to use a different amount of carbonation), you'd enter that, the temperature and the volume of beer. With those three parameters, the calculator can tell you how much sugar to use.

Below is a chart that list BJCP guidelines for parameters by style:

Attachments

• beerstyleinformationchartsmall.pdf
    389.4 KB · Views: 101
This is awesome that , not only there is a site like this but people able and willing to help.
Thank you. One and all.
This forum truly is a community, a lot of friendly people who are more than happy to help grow the hobby. I think the phenomenon of it is that when you live something you want to share and help other people love it too.

By and large we're a lot less elitist about it than some sites too. Go as far down the rabbit hole as you want, but don't shame someone for not being as hardcore as you is my opinion.
Well said sir!

Back