Tilt and other electronic hydrometers are supported!

I suppose 10 years from now it will be so easy we won’t even give it a second thought, but with anything new (relatively), there bound to be finicky and they are that. I’ve always liked “techy” stuff, so I’m willing to be an early adopter.

We'll all be using mass produced small scale stainless fermentes like rabeb has designed. In built temp, pH and gravity sensors talking to wireless switches that turn things on and off to stay +/- 0.001% of target.

Though I have an internal argument everytime I look at that type of stuff. I want the toys, but I'm only a few years into brewing and I feel there's so much to learn. I wonder whether putting the brew on software based auto-pilot may get in the way of that learning. Maybe something for later when I've got more recipes where I'm not looking to experiment.

Well said....

Speaking for me, I watched YouTube videos for several months before I decided to go from thinking about it, to actually doing it. I started with extract, albeit it just one brew, then on to Partial extract with LME and specialty grains. Again, just once and then dove straight into All Grain and have been brewing All Grain for just over 2 years now.

Although there’s so much to learn, my wife and I (She loves brewing too), have settled into a well worn routine that produces beers that taste better than their commercial counterparts if it’s a clone, or just delicious amongst friends and family if it’s not.

So now that we’ve settled into that routine, and the fact I am a techy at heart, I welcome new gadgets and techniques that can simplify or add to the brewing experience.

On topic: The Tilt is an awesome, yet finicky gizmo.

Is there anyway to calibrate the ispindel from within Brewers friend? I calibrated it using the spreadsheet, at 24 degree tilt it is calibrated to 1.000 and at a tilt of 30 degrees it is calibrated to 1.015 but in my fermenting vessel it is tilted at 29 degrees and reading 0.990.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Is there anyway to calibrate the ispindel from within Brewers friend? I calibrated it using the spreadsheet, at 24 degree tilt it is calibrated to 1.000 and at a tilt of 30 degrees it is calibrated to 1.015 but in my fermenting vessel it is tilted at 29 degrees and reading 0.990.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

I don't know- but I"m trying to find out for you! I'll keep you posted as to what I learn.

Being able to calibrate on the fly would be a huge benefit. resetting the device and re-calibrating in its config page is a pain in the butt.

Hi All, Hope lockdown finds you well.

Please disregard comments about the graph...typically realised the csv results are in Platos but the graph is in Gravity hence the flat line, so I think I need to do some set-up calibration on the iSpindle

Subscribed to the brewers friend site as it seemed one of the more straightforward ways of setting up a recently purchased iSpindle.

One bit of feedback on your instructions, depending on where you look you are either told to use the token and url option or the select the BrewersFriend. Confusingly the more recent firmware only supports the more clunky url / token method. Anyway this through me for a while, so just thought I'd mention it.

Anyway the feed is coming through nicely and if I look at the data in the csv file I can see what looks like good information coming through, but in the graph the gravity is fixed at a steady 1.04 and does not reflect the data in the csv.

Believe something is wrong at the Brewersfriend end?

graph.gif

data.png

Last edited:
Hi, so having thought some more. I believe the issue with the gravity reading is as follows.
The iSpindle is delivering a SG reading. BrewersFriend is expecting Plato and converting this value into nonsense.
Either I need to tell Brewers Friend that the value is in SG and to stop doing the conversion or
I need to get the iSpindle to declare that it is doing SG and Brewers Friend will sort itself out or
I need to get the iSpindle to deliver its results in Plato (I don't really want to do this....)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I was doing some calibration last night and it appears as if the default position was that it was already delivering pretty close to Specific Gravity to Brewer's Friend.

The penny is dropping though, I have to change the tilt polynomial calculation so that it delivers a plato value and then I'll get a sensible number out of Brewers Friend.

iSpindle units.gif

Back