How are all your hops doing that you're growing?

Well nothing much harvested here just a 100g enough for a dry hop maybe lol:rolleyes:.
Better than nothing i suppose. Gunna sepperate the root stock and plant some in another spot this year.
Sorry about the photo me camera is shattered but still can take a half decent pick
20200315_130949.jpg

Well nothing much harvested here just a 100g enough for a dry hop maybe lol:rolleyes:.
Better than nothing i suppose. Gunna sepperate the root stock and plant some in another spot this year.
Sorry about the photo me camera is shattered but still can take a half decent pickView attachment 9032

Have you considered another variety? Lots of varieties from AUS and some newer varieties from desert country that may take the heat better. You have something figured out though cause you do get good vines. Cascade is from the northwest and may not bloom well ever in that heat.. Just a thought...

Have you considered another variety? Lots of varieties from AUS and some newer varieties from desert country that may take the heat better. You have something figured out though cause you do get good vines. Cascade is from the northwest and may not bloom well ever in that heat.. Just a thought...
A native Australian vine Pride Of Ringwood I'm sure would grow well but it's basically a bittering hop and not good for Much else.

I grew a heap of sunflowers around it that sorta compeated for nutrients they grew heads as big as dinner plates! So I'm guessing that's caused a drop in production as well.

The hops that are grown in Aus are either grown in Victoria or Tasmania 1000's of killometers South of where I live.
Around here we grow pineapples paw paws bannana sugar cane lychees passion fruit ect tropical fruit not hops.

I'd love it if I could plant some galaxy hops but they ain't releasing them to the public I'm sure no time soon:)

I should have taken a picture of mine yesterday when I checked them out to make sure the plant made it through the winter. They did and there is the littlest shoot still down in the oak leaf litter so that's the sign I'm goin to take to move the dug in pale I have my Fuggles in to a spot where they'll get more sun. I got a spot on the edge of the property that I have been thinking about using to train cucumber vines on but maybe hops now...hmmmm

Nothing happening yet, squirrels were digging a bit, doesn't look like any harm was done though
20200319_191044.jpg

We have had 3 or 4 nice sunny days and a few tiny little sprouts have just popped out. Been sitting on patio enjoying the late afternoon. To layed back to mess with a picture. Maybe mañana

Today is the first day we can leave quarantine since March 19. So I got supplies to make a new arbor for my hops. Last one didn't survive the neighbor's garage fire but the fire roasted hops did survive. Dug the footings first thinking that I might hit frost. Thanks to the Southern exposure that didn't happen. Waiting for the concrete to cure now:
2020-04-11 19.17.05.jpg

Today is the first day we can leave quarantine since March 19. So I got supplies to make a new arbor for my hops. Last one didn't survive the neighbor's garage fire but the fire roasted hops did survive. Dug the footings first thinking that I might hit frost. Thanks to the Southern exposure that didn't happen. Waiting for the concrete to cure now:View attachment 9520
The Tower of Power!!!

Good thing that I put a fresh layer of mulch over the sprouts, it got down to 16F -9C this morning.

Good thing that I put a fresh layer of mulch over the sprouts, it got down to 16F -9C this morning.

My sprout is three or four inches out of the ground now, and we are expecting frost the next few nights at least.

Do I need to cover it?

A light frost in the past didn't bother them but it was that cold for quite a few hours. Once before they froze pretty good and just sent up new sprouts. They are quite hardy.

2 weeks later and it looks like these guys like the new spot! That leading vine is about 2 feet up the cage

20200415_165807.jpeg

My sprout is three or four inches out of the ground now, and we are expecting frost the next few nights at least.

Do I need to cover it?
They'll be fine. I've had snow and freezing with mine being 5-6 feet out of the ground with no issues.

It's always good to see a plant come back to life after winter, isn't it?

What part of Texas are you in that these little guys are just breaking ground or are these old pix?

I was born and raised in TX, but the Army sent me to Colorado for my last duty station so now, after retirement I live here now.
I am just south of Denver, and a little north of Colorado Springs

T

I took out my columbus from last year and planted centennial. They started coming up but something is eating them. It isn't deer cause I have a 6 ft fence. Any ideas? I thought animals didn't like hops.

Back