ordering malt on here

goatee

Trial Member
Reaction score
i ordered them "milled". i assume i wont need to do any other prep on them? soak? or anything?
they will be GTG right to wort/boil right out the gate? (i hope)

Yes, they should be good to go. you'll need to mash them to make wort if you are doing all grain, or just soak them if it's a partial mash.

All pre milled grains need to be Mashed there Goatee. Can i suggest (if you havnt already) to go have a look at John Palmers online "how to brew book".
Of course asking questions here dont hurt either;)

i ordered them "milled". i assume i wont need to do any other prep on them? soak? or anything?
they will be GTG right to wort/boil right out the gate? (i hope)
I'm agreeing with Trialben - the questions you're asking, unless I'm severely misinterpreting them, indicate you likely should do a bit more reading before jumping in. None of us mind answering your questions but most of us will assume basic knowledge. Ben's reference - an online version of How to Brew - is free and comprehensive enough to get you started.

Couple mistakes on my part. 1, I’m getting my web sites confused. I did not order here..... 2, by the response I believe I may have used the wrong terms.
When I said GTG, I meant to start brewing. I.e making wort/mash. Did you guys think I was going to just start boiling grain? I’m a newbie no doubt.. but no. . I’ve got 5 gallons of wit close to bottling. Next batch will be a saison.

the wit was a kit. The saison will be all grain. My first time with either method. So I wasn’t sure if there was any thing special I needed to do to the grain pre mash.

I ordered it milled. There was an option of doubled milled. That’s why I was wondering. What is the advantage of double milled? And why are these grinders so expensive? It’s just a grinder right?

Oh yeah, milled is just crushed. Double milled makes the crush finer which might get more efficiency.

They are just grinders, but cause they're for brewing they cost more.

I use a cheap corona mill attached to a concrete mix drill. I mounted it to a bucket, they're pretty cheap but they aren't pretty.

tducyv4.jpg

Then I put a lid and a hopper on it.
I don't have a good picture of just the mill but here it what it looks like fully assembled.
9f7uPUG.jpg

I LOVE IT.
So,,, if I’m getting this right.... it’s really nothing special about any of it.. just grind it up.
Like coffee. I grind mine down to a fine powder to get the most out of it.

granted a mash tun is not a coffee maker so,,,, you don’t want to jam it up. But other than that,,,,uhhhh,, that’s it!

I LOVE IT.
So,,, if I’m getting this right.... it’s really nothing special about any of it.. just grind it up.
Like coffee. I grind mine down to a fine powder to get the most out of it.

granted a mash tun is not a coffee maker so,,,, you don’t want to jam it up. But other than that,,,,uhhhh,, that’s it!
No! Don't grind it up like coffee! You do not want a powder - that will congeal into a mass that will not allow water in (or out). You want a crush, that is, the kernels broken into maybe fourths or fifths and the husks intact. The husks act as a kind of filter, allowing water to channel through the mass of grain and keeping the mass of grain from congealing into something like cream of wheat. Pinhead (or larger) chunks of grain and intact husks are what you're looking for.

Oh yeah, milled is just crushed. Double milled makes the crush finer which might get more efficiency.

They are just grinders, but cause they're for brewing they cost more.

I use a cheap corona mill attached to a concrete mix drill. I mounted it to a bucket, they're pretty cheap but they aren't pretty.

tducyv4.jpg

Then I put a lid and a hopper on it.
I don't have a good picture of just the mill but here it what it looks like fully assembled.
9f7uPUG.jpg
I have got to get my stuff organized.

This is what mine looks like after I mill it. I mash in a bag though so it's finer than it would be for someone who doesn't. Cause yes it can plug the hell out of things if you are unlucky.

qyoOX7V.jpg

This is what mine looks like after I mill it. I mash in a bag though so it's finer than it would be for someone who doesn't. Cause yes it can plug the hell out of things if you are unlucky.

qyoOX7V.jpg
Hawkbox, do you double mill your grains? I too mash in a bag (BIAB), and I double mill at lhbs. My milled grains look just like your picture.

No but I have the mill gap set quite low so I basically get the same result. The corona mill more tears the grain than crushes it.

Yep that looks very similar to my crush size Hawkbox i mill mine in the thermomix near the same.

wow!! that looks pretty fine grain. if my stuff looks even close to that im going to get a bag..pain is i cant just drive to local place... its amazon and wait for ship. even prime is taking a bit longer i think with this covid

It is pretty fine, without a bag it would almost certainly plug up a drain. You probably don't need it that fine but I'm to lazy to change the gap settings on my mill.

I think it's like a coffee grinder

Back