Plastic Barrels

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone use these to ferment in? Still trying to find out if they are food safe, they are HDPE but not sure about #2HDPE, they are BPA Free.
5036414-BL000.jpg

No but I think Ozarks ferments in something similar. That's an interesting idea.

I'm not sure what that is mine are food grade and we're shipped with juice originally, there are many different kinds of barrels be careful

Generally MEC stuff is food grade, I don't know if I would put boiling wort in like an Aussie but you could probably ferment safely in it. Cleaning it on the other hand...

Ya would only be used for cooled wort. Never anything hot in it. Cleaning would be easy, the entire top comes off.

Ya would only be used for cooled wort. Never anything hot in it. Cleaning would be easy, the entire top comes off.
I see some of those Norwegian kviek brewers fermenting in similar looking chemical drums. Bloody Nora Valka your looking at upping the output eh:D!

I see some of those Norwegian kviek brewers fermenting in similar looking chemical drums. Bloody Nora Valka your looking at upping the output eh:D!
No, I can get 3 carboys in my chamber already but I would like to have a 30+ litre fermenter for some of my NEIPA’s. Sometime there is 16 cm (6”) of hop matter on the bottom. This cuts down on my overall volume in the kegs, 12-16litres, only 3/4 full.

Just found out it made from food safe plastic! Amazing what you learn when you read all the question on the retailers site! They are a good price for Canada. Going to have to order one of these up and test it out.

That is a great size Valka, my speidels are 30L, they were about $100 CDN from Amazon, I feel like the features were worth the extra coin. Nice, easily removable lid, port on the bottom with spigot, and a cap for when you are cleaning which fits the lid on top, and the spigot port on the bottom. I added a hole to one of the lids for my thermowell.
20200223_111859.jpg

20200318_113329.jpg

$50 is a good deal though, and you could easily add a spigot at the perfect height to leave all your hop debris behind, I like it!

Keep us up on this as you progress! What kind of and how are you going to fit this thing with a fermentation lock?? I assume just a big ass blow off tube sort of set up?

The appropriate size hole in the lid for a typical airlock bung would do the trick

Ya will head to our MEC next month or sooner, want to look inside to be sure it’s not to rough and easy to clean. These are made for canoeing and have a backpack system that attaches to it.

My SS brewtech buckets were more but hopefully will last me forever and will do 6.5g easily so I should have no trouble filling a keg.

Back