Recipe Changes when I try to share it

Gene Cornelius

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Wondering here what I'm doing wrong ... maybe a setting on my computer? I don't see other posts like this.

I've been considering upgrading my account; maybe this doesn't happen with upgraded accounts? Especially as I'm on #4 of my free recipes, and I LOVE the Recipe builder (as well as the calculators) ... the beers I've made as a new brewer matches my intents, and are all delicious. A huge part of that success is being able to toy with hops and fermentables and figure out mash water, etc. on Brewer'sFriend, and I hope this can be fixed.

Every recipe I've done has this issue. To an experienced brewer, it's obvious .. I didn't, for instance, add another 10 lbs of 2-row at the end of my recipe .. yet it shows up ... I go back in to edit it, delete the added water, the added fermentables the added yeast and the added hops, SAVE, and then if I close and come back, or try to share the recipe, it adds all those things again.

In this case "Kiss me Hardy" is a reference to Nelson's last words, (the last hop addition in this case is Nelson Sauvin, the town of Nelson NZ was named for Admiral Nelson, and I needed a name ... )

Thanks for commenting on the issues with changing amounts of ingredients. Cheers!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/967952/kiss-me-hardy-stout-ipa

I'm fresh out of ideas on this one. @Yooper?

You can definitely see that the recipe has two entries for 10 lbs of base malt, but also the OG is ignoring 10 of those lbs. Copy it, and edit, and it shows up as 1.111 OG instead of the 1.078 listed.

I'm fresh out of ideas on this one. @Yooper?

You can definitely see that the recipe has two entries for 10 lbs of base malt, but also the OG is ignoring 10 of those lbs. Copy it, and edit, and it shows up as 1.111 OG instead of the 1.078 listed.

If only the real OG would follow the error - that would be cool! ... I keep tweaking these recipes to maximise my preferred ABV and flavors, and it works out, since I simply hand-write them out in my brew log, but I can't share it with brewing friends without having to explain the problem.

I don't suppose you have that base malt in your inventory? Perhaps something is going wrong with the "default amount" and it's doubling it?

I don't suppose you have that base malt in your inventory? Perhaps something is going wrong with the "default amount" and it's doubling it?

That seems like a logical thought on this issue.

Can you screenshot the 'doubling' for us? That would help pin this down.

Responding to both above .. thanks. No, I do not keep an inventory. Perhaps I should look into that ... it's possible that it's referring to something I have not set up yet?

I'll try to get screenshots here. I just changed the following:

1. Remove the extra 10lbs Organic base malt
2. Remove the extra US-05 yeast
3. Delete all the water requirements and re-input with Add Quick Water Requirements
4. Remove the extra 1 oz. Mosaic hop pellets from end of boil.

Will get screenshots, resave, and post when done.

That seems like a logical thought on this issue.

Can you screenshot the 'doubling' for us? That would help pin this down.

upload_2020-3-27_11-1-39.png

upload_2020-3-27_11-2-18.png

Similar but slightly different... My recipe changed when I simply copied it within my own account versus sharing. And not only did the new copied recipe change, but the original as well. Below walks through what I saw...

It's been a while since I last posted. I saw the notice about the beta updates so I thought I'd check them out. Logged in and immediately copied an existing recipe so I could have a recipe to play with without impacting a known recipe. Well, I opened the known recipe, copied it, and saved it under the same name with "TEST" at the end. Well, the saved recipe immediately showed significantly higher ABV (10.94% vs 6.05%) and lower IBU (59.86 vs 68.64). Opened the 'new' recipe and found 12 additional pounds of 2-row malt were added, which was the exact same as entry #1 in my list of fermentables.

upload_2020-3-27_23-0-44.png

Went back and opened my original recipe to investigate. Sure enough, something automatically added 12 lbs of 2-row to that recipe resulting in the same higher ABV and lower IBU of my "TEST" recipe. I SAVED that recipe and went back to my Recipe List. Now both of my Zombie Dust recipes include the additional 12 lbs of 2-row that the system added for me. Note the update time that indicates my saving of the original recipe.

upload_2020-3-27_23-4-56.png

Opened my original recipe, deleted the 12 lbs of additional 2-row, and resaved. This brought my ABV back to the original 6.05%, but the IBUs were still higher at 88.74 vs 68.64. Strange. Compared the online recipe to my printout for a couple of days ago. Found an additional 5.7 gallons of mash strike water was added in the Mash Guidelines section. Note: batch size (6.6 gal kettle) and preboil size (7.6 gal) had NOT changed. Deleted the additional Mash water, resaved. Unfortunately, no change to the predicted IBUs.

Reviewed Hops again and found an automatically added line for my First Wort hops. Deleted the addition, resaved, and now the recipe is back to its original self.

So, in summary, simply copying a known recipe caused the following:
* duplicated the first grain addition in my fermentables
* duplicated the first water addition in Mash
* duplicated the first hop entry

And not only in the new recipe that I copied to, but also to the original recipe.

I thought I was on the Beta site, but now it's showing the regular website. Any ideas as to the automatic additions? I've actually noticed some of these automatic additions in the past couple of months, but I thought it was me.

After posting the entry above, I exited BF and logged back in with the intent to duplicate the above behavior and begin narrowing down the source of the problem. Despite copying and recopying these recipes that had just given me problems, I was unable to duplicate the behavior. I will keep testing different angles on this to isolate the source. There must be a reason.

Thanks for your report eheeke! It's almost exactly like what you are saying. After my last post yesterday however, it stayed working fine, so I was able to step away from my computer and go brew. I used my phone downstairs (not logged in) to portion, and time hops. During grain measurement I found to my chagrin that I had but 1lb of roasted barley, as opposed to 1.5. So I modified the recipe by logging in 1 lb, and augmenting the buckwheat honey. I then saved my changes. And it worked fine!

However, today, I went in to make some notes, and wanted to check, after reading your post, and found that indeed, my first fermentable, water requirements, yeast (I did use almost two anyway since I had one partial open from last brew) and an extra hop addition had shown up. Krausen forming nicely today.

I checked my other recipes, and they are all fine (I had had this problem with each of them, but now they seem to be "holding").

Yesterday I came in a bit under gravity, but had enough honey and remaining wort to make a 1 gallon braggot which is also handily bubbling away!

Back