No more DME

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I’m out of DME, this means no starter wort. Anyone have a quick 8-12 litre (2-3gal) recipe I could use just to make starter wort?

5 pounds of base malt should be about right with 2.5-3 gallons I would think. I should really do something too. Got some ale yeast to tend to, probably don't need to brew any more ale this month.

Last edited:
Calculate a recipe, pale malt, 1.036 to 1.040, no hops. I'd keep the mash temps low for fermentability. Boil the full 60 minutes, especially if you don't decant your starter due to the DME. Can any leftovers in mason jars, quarts are probably the best size. I may do that myself so I have some starter wort on hand. Extra credit for adding yeast nutrient to the boil...

Over build your recipie every brew buy 1 / 2 litres depending on your starter size. Take starter sample 10mins into boil if you want less hops in it and low SG or as ive been doing lately taking starter sample at pitch / transfer to fermentor.

Over build your recipie every brew buy 1 / 2 litres depending on your starter size. Take starter sample 10mins into boil if you want less hops in it and low SG or as ive been doing lately taking starter sample at pitch / transfer to fermentor.
Yes TB, that is the plan. Been wanting to do this for a while, being forced now. Just want to get ahead of the game......now that I’m behind!

Yes TB, that is the plan. Been wanting to do this for a while, being forced now. Just want to get ahead of the game......now that I’m behind!
This is current brew yet to kick start this Skare Kviek is lagging but starter seems to be firing up so will wait it out. But you see what I'd do just put some In the flask I'd have it spinning but I broke me motor on stir plate thing..
20200323_171802.jpg

Calculate a recipe, pale malt, 1.036 to 1.040, no hops. I'd keep the mash temps low for fermentability. Boil the full 60 minutes, especially if you don't decant your starter due to the DME. Can any leftovers in mason jars, quarts are probably the best size. I may do that myself so I have some starter wort on hand. Extra credit for adding yeast nutrient to the boil...

Just out of curiosity, why would you boil the full 60 minutes?

Ah. I always decant, so didn't consider that. Thanks!

Either I can't detect DMS nor most/all of my friends or it's not that big of a deal.

Lots of people can't. And in some cases it is a pleasant flavor.
Misread, answered for diacetyl. DMS can be creamed corn, cooked cabbage, even garlic or onion. It's acceptable in low amounts in light Lagers but I don't like it even then. The darker the malt, the less of a chance of it appearing.

I almost never use pilsner malt so that might be part of it.

I would also add a little potassium / sodium metabisulfite if using city water

A tip in after Nosy's post and leftovers caused me to recall this article I read a while back...never tried it but it makes all the sense in the world..wasn't someone selling canned starter about a year ago?? Either way, great web site with a ton of ideas ripe for bunny trailing!

https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/starter-made-easy-pressure-cooking-your-starter-wort-ahead-time
I've used some of it once, when I didn't have time to make a starter. Can't for the life of me remember what the stuff was called but it was essentially just canned wort.

Back