top female brewer

If think Averie Swanson formerly with Jester King would have to be up there near the top.
And I don't know if Jennifer Talley brews much anymore but she's definitely gotta be a contender.

Great thread topic!
Elaine at Northworks! We can chat for hours about brewing!
Wait, I mean Yooper!
Can I pick two?

I remember about 20 years ago going into a famous homebrew store in Ohio. I was with my dad. I was completely and totally ignored by 3 different clerks, while all of them asked my dad if he needed help. Maybe he looked lost, because he was, but I was there to get a new pH meter. I couldn't find them, so finally I went up to the counter and asked. They were pretty dismissive of me.

Several years later, I went into a new store in Wisconsin. I was walking through the store, looking for a hydrometer. A man stopped me by the kits, and said, "hey little lady- would you like to make a nice fruit beer kit?" I kid you not. I said, "Actually no. I'm looking for something specific for my all-electric HERMS 1/2 barrel system. Sorry. Wrong store". (The store has long since closed)

Times have changed! There are many female brewers out there, and I've been treated so well over the years by brewery owners, brewers both pro and homebrew, and even the AHA Governing Committee is mostly made up of females. It's great to see that we are respected as capable brewers. I know the GC has a diversity committee, and it would be great to see more ethnic groups and races in the hobby as well.

I don't know as many pro female brewers as males, but I'm happy to see that it's becoming less uncommon.

On a local level, we have all kinds of female brewers.

I can't think of her name - there's this lady brewing at a rather new brewery in downtown Lubbock, TX... Makes a pretty tasty drop.

If think Averie Swanson formerly with Jester King would have to be up there near the top.
And I don't know if Jennifer Talley brews much anymore but she's definitely gotta be a contender.

I believe Jen Talley is still brewing in Auburn, CA. Not sure of the brewery though.

Mine was The Brewery LBK and it does not look like the lady is brewing there any more :(

Our local craft brewer, Farm Yard Ales, has just appointed a young woman as head brewer and their beer is sublime; I have them as the genuine high water mark. Their beers are as good as anyone's.

I see brewing as the same as cooking so there shouldn't be any barriers and I think the whole craft beer movement is moving along those lines; it's great to see.

Back