Bread Thread!

Wow, all the breads look great!
I've been super busy and haven't baked in a while, but today I bake!
I'm going to make up 1 batch for the dutch oven and 2 for loaf pans. I'll also make up some dough for Pizza tomorrow!.
I'm disappointed that I haven't been able to find the Flour I like, so I'll be using 2 other brand today.
This "pandemic" thing is really messing with what's on the shelves at the stores.
Cheers,
Brian
I hear ya. There's nothing out there! I did come across some Bob's Red Mill today. Also found some dark rye and I look forward to seeing how those pan out this week.
I've been using King Arthur AP unbleached and been really pleased with it.

Wifey made Soda Bread to have with the traditional smoked butt and cabbage. .crusty..dence..really really good...she took the prize with this one so she got the last bottle of J A's Stout

20200317_194441.jpg

Took a sample of the braggot I'm brewing a couple days ago, to test for gravity and taste, and ended up with a healthy bit of hornindal kveik yeast trub in the bottom of my tasting glass - so I made some bread with it.

oKw7vMs.jpg

D2Xu0Kt.jpg

Stats: 30% whole wheat, 70% all purpose, 75% hydration

There's a slight hint of funk, but overall it's more neutral than I was expecting. I have to admit I was kind of hoping to get some of those hornindal esters in my bread, but that didn't happen.

Overall, I give this 6/10 - will definitely try again! I've got another loaf still in the proofing basket in the fridge, waiting to be baked, and hopefully I'll do a better job scoring that one.

Took a sample of the braggot I'm brewing a couple days ago, to test for gravity and taste, and ended up with a healthy bit of hornindal kveik yeast trub in the bottom of my tasting glass - so I made some bread with it.

oKw7vMs.jpg

D2Xu0Kt.jpg

There's a slight hint of funk, but overall it's more neutral than I was expecting. I have to admit I was kind of hoping to get some of those hornindal esters in my bread, but that didn't happen.

Overall, I give this 6/10 - will definitely try again! I've got another loaf still in the proofing basket in the fridge, waiting to be baked, and hopefully I'll do a better job scoring that one.
Cool kviek bread looks like a great crumb going on there too.

You know with this corona bug scaring the crap out of some people here in Aus people are going back to basics. Recently stores are getting some big hits on flour and bread yeast and at time sold out.
Like I said to the missus the other day meh I don't need bread yeast we got Sourdough baby;):p!

Nice looking bread. Might have to give some left over yeast a go myself.

Basically not much flour or yeast to speak of here either. Luckily, I stocked up on flour and have plenty of yeast and starter.

oKw7vMs.jpg

D2Xu0Kt.jpg

I always wondered how beer yeast would perform on bread. Fine by what I'm seeing!

View attachment 9064
View attachment 9065
This was a 7 hour bread from start to finish.
I had to use Pillsbury bread flour as my "go to" flour wasn't anywhere to be found.
Not bad but I'll stick with King Arthur if I can get it.
Yeah, I couldn't find any King Arthur either and had to settle with Gold Medal. It actually wasn't bad at all. I was able to pick up 10# of King Arthur today.

View attachment 9064
View attachment 9065
This was a 7 hour bread from start to finish.
I had to use Pillsbury bread flour as my "go to" flour wasn't anywhere to be found.
Not bad but I'll stick with King Arthur if I can get it.
Beautiful crust there brew mentor.
On a side note you run a brew store?
I hear people are buying a bit of HB gear even taking up hombrewing now that lock down looks imanant?
Trade must be doing ok

Yeah, I couldn't find any King Arthur either and had to settle with Gold Medal. It actually wasn't bad at all. I was able to pick up 10# of King Arthur today.
What store did you find it at?

Beautiful crust there brew mentor.
On a side note you run a brew store?
I hear people are buying a bit of HB gear even taking up hombrewing now that lock down looks imanant?
Trade must be doing ok
I might have put just a little bit of butter on it!
The 1st 2 days this week were equivalent to a normal Saturday's business, so 2 nice days. Starting today we are only processing orders over the phone, via email or on the internet and with a specific pick up time.
I have a feeling that we'll stay busy and still be able to maintain social distancing.
I've cut most of my staff hours as I can pick up their duties if I'm not running the shop all day.

I checked on Amazon yesterday and they're out of all but the small packages of the expensive specialty stuff. I have 5 or 6 lbs. of bleached AP and a couple pounds of whole wheat. Guess my starter will be going into the fridge until I can find more.

If you want to see what I'll be working on during the Pandemic, take a look her;
https://www.facebook.com/mentorbrewingcompany/
Hopefully up and running by summer!
Looks great!
Not sure when our next football trip brings us to Cleveland, but we always stop in at Mentor to go to a Beer Store, forget the name, but they have a phenomenal selection there. Whenever we head back that way, I will definitley stop in and see you!

I checked on Amazon yesterday and they're out of all but the small packages of the expensive specialty stuff. I have 5 or 6 lbs. of bleached AP and a couple pounds of whole wheat. Guess my starter will be going into the fridge until I can find more.
I'm wondering what people are going to eventually do with all this stuff they're hoarding.

I don't know why people are going so crazy, this virus has been around before, I've had it last year, half the rehab facility had it, now the whole place is quarantined. It acts like advanced COPD on a healthy person, can kill a lung deficient person though, if you look on some cleaning products it's listed on the label

Last edited:

Back