Ripped dh bag and forgot irish moss

BrewerMichel

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

so, i forgot to add my irish moss to the kettle and I seem to have a ripped dry hop bag (primary). Would it be wise to add some boiled irish moss to secondary? Will it help to settle down the floating hop particles?

Thanks!

Depending on the yeast you used, you'll probably find that you don't need anything. I always dry hop with loose pellets and everything settles just fine. A highly flocculent yeast doesn't really need any help from kettle finings, but it can speed things up a bit. I'd leave it be and let it settle well and be careful racking.

Hi Brewers,

so, i forgot to add my irish moss to the kettle and I seem to have a ripped dry hop bag (primary). Would it be wise to add some boiled irish moss to secondary? Will it help to settle down the floating hop particles?

Thanks!
No. Let it buck and remember it next time. Everything will settle out, given enough time. If you need to fine it, consider using a cold-side fining agent like gelatin, isinglas, chitosan....

I never bag my dryhops, they always settle out, although having moved from carboys to speidel fermenters I have thought about dry hopping with muslin bags, but I probably won't. Just another risk of contamination and the nuisance of sanitizing the bag...

I put it in secondary and outside in the cold for a couple of days (0-10°C), turned out almost crystal clear!
Out In the big freezer man that just blows my mind :rolleyes:.
Want to cold crash oh yeah just put it outside for a day or three.:p

Back