R/O Water for Sparge

pcmax

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm about to brew a stout, the recipe is on Brewers Friend it's called "Black Tooth Grin" by MIKEYSTEW.
The recipe calls for the use of R/O water and some mineral additions for the mash but does not specify what type of water or water profile for the sparge.
Can anyone advise if its ok to use tap water with no additions for the sparge or should I be using the R/O water?

Same put all minerals in the mash liquor leave the sparge straight RO.

I'm about to brew a stout, the recipe is on Brewers Friend it's called "Black Tooth Grin" by MIKEYSTEW.
The recipe calls for the use of R/O water and some mineral additions for the mash but does not specify what type of water or water profile for the sparge.
Can anyone advise if its ok to use tap water with no additions for the sparge or should I be using the R/O water?
You certainly can use dechlorinated tap water to brew it. Might not make the best possible beer but if your water tastes good, you'll make a decent beer. Do you have a water report as a starting point?

This is a good one for a potential FAQ area.
Others more experienced may clarify, or correct me on the following:
Your water ion profile is important in predicting mash pH (among other things), but your sparge water is just rinsing sugars from the grains, and isn't really a bnig deal. I personally don't treat my sparge water. Some will treat with a bit of lactic, or other acid, but I use acidulated malt, so straight up RO for sparging.
Cheers, and welcome!

Back