Yeast starter offset for vital stats consideration

Flysparge

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If this has not been covered before..apologies.
Have been known to use a yeast starter and use at high krausen and try to manually adjust the addition.
Would be nice to have in the recipe calculator the yeast starter volume(eg 2 litres), SG (eg 1040), assumed SRM (eg 8), and IBU (=0) to enable a final pre starting ferment of the main wort.
Just a thought. Cheers.

Sorry, if there's a question in there, I'm not getting it.

If this has not been covered before..apologies.
Have been known to use a yeast starter and use at high krausen and try to manually adjust the addition.
Would be nice to have in the recipe calculator the yeast starter volume(eg 2 litres), SG (eg 1040), assumed SRM (eg 8), and IBU (=0) to enable a final pre starting ferment of the main wort.
Just a thought. Cheers.

I agree. It would be nice to see on the recipe page what size starter you plan to use. The yeast starter calculator is great. But it would be nice to see that info on the recipe screen. My starter size varies depending on the OG of the recipe, the age and apparent quality of the yeast and whether I'm pitching from a smack-pack or slurry. Volume, SG and number of build-up steps would be useful. I don't see SRM or IBU being useful for a starter.

Is ths to account for the extra volume and gravity change of pouring in the whole starter?

Is ths to account for the extra volume and gravity change of pouring in the whole starter?
This is my assumption based on the 1st post.

If so, I believe this should be accounted for when/if my proposed changes to boil volumes and the quick water requirements are implemented. I'm tagging this thread in the dev request and will follow up when it's available for testing, and again when it goes live.

That complicates it: I always decant my starters. I don't worry about the dilution but it's easy enough to calculate.

Sorry guys, yes to account for an offset of the lower gravity volume starter, zero bitterness and and different colour. eg, if I was pitching a 2 litre starter at high krausen on purpose I know I can adjust the SG using an example of a 22 litre batch SG=((1.065*22)+(1.040*2))/24. I was suggesting as a feature to have this in build to improve the usability, also to adjust colour and IBU in the final statstics. It was just a suggestion. Sometimes I don't decant, sometimes I do.

Add the volumes, the alcohol volumes (ABV*volume, you can estimate for the starter), divide the sum of the alcohol volumes by the total volume. Decant (likely a good idea because the starter was not created under optimum conditions to make beer) and the volume is so trivial it can be ignored. There are so many possible scenarios when it comes to starters or for that matter, yeast (you're adding volume there, too), that the solution would be fairly complicated.

I decant almost all of the time and the potential changes to the beer are negligible in my experience. Also, I keep track of the starter I use on the Brew Session (the first entry always!) and I even adjust starter size based on estimated viability of the yeast I am using.

Back