1st Batch

Brewer #224226

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been interested in trying home brewing for a while now, so I finally went out and got a starter kit. Followed the recipe - seemed pretty straightforward. A couple of questions:

1. After I pitched the yeast, I realized my dreadful error. I didn't realize the temp should be around 65-70 when pitching. I pitched at 130! Anyway - I knew I was SOL but waited 2 days to see if there were any signs of fermentation. Didn't see anything so I pitched the yeast again 2 days later. I don't have any airlock activity - but from my read of this board - it seems like that is not something you should count on. I opened the airlock to take a quick look - it does look like the krausen is forming. If you repitch yeast (or pitch when the temp is way high) - will this mess with the taste?

2.I am thinking about buying the Grolsch type bottles so I don't have to spend time recapping. More expensive - but definitely seems to be time savers. I saw them with 33oz bottles. Will a standard bottle wand work with a 33 oz bottle? Just wondering if it would be able to push all the way at the bottom of the bottle.

3. Do you all use a yeast starter? Do you feel it is a must have or nice to have?

4. I forgot to take the OG - will that kill me? I know that I won't know the exact alcohol level - but any other downside?

Thanks,

Looking forward to making my next batch. Lot of fun!

Yep you probably nuked the yeast first time round that second lot will do the job. Be patient and let things take it's course. Use your hydrometer on next batch you use this to determine also when your batch a beer is done. No drop in Gravity over 3 days. Grolsch bottles seem like a goer. I'd just stick with pitching yeast in before making starters just get the hang of the process then start to get more involved with a few things. Happy brewing!

The most difficult thing when you start out is patience, leave it for at least 2 weeks.

I use the 500mL swing tops (so about 16 oz) and the standard bottle wand fits easily. The 1 litre ones you'd be using may be a bit of a challenge, but if it is a bit small you can hold it by the hose instead of the wand.

Hello,

I have been interested in trying home brewing for a while now, so I finally went out and got a starter kit. Followed the recipe - seemed pretty straightforward. A couple of questions:

1. After I pitched the yeast, I realized my dreadful error. I didn't realize the temp should be around 65-70 when pitching. I pitched at 130! Anyway - I knew I was SOL but waited 2 days to see if there were any signs of fermentation. Didn't see anything so I pitched the yeast again 2 days later. I don't have any airlock activity - but from my read of this board - it seems like that is not something you should count on. I opened the airlock to take a quick look - it does look like the krausen is forming. If you repitch yeast (or pitch when the temp is way high) - will this mess with the taste?

2.I am thinking about buying the Grolsch type bottles so I don't have to spend time recapping. More expensive - but definitely seems to be time savers. I saw them with 33oz bottles. Will a standard bottle wand work with a 33 oz bottle? Just wondering if it would be able to push all the way at the bottom of the bottle.

3. Do you all use a yeast starter? Do you feel it is a must have or nice to have?

4. I forgot to take the OG - will that kill me? I know that I won't know the exact alcohol level - but any other downside?

Thanks,

Looking forward to making my next batch. Lot of fun!
I'd avoid the Grolsch type bottles for a while - harder to sanitize and use. Get your process down first! Crown caps are easier to sanitize. Don't worry about a yeast starter at first, either. Yet another variable to manage. Forgetting OG, don't worry at all. You already know the only downside of it. At this point, try to be as simple with the process as possible, learn from your mistakes then later, with confidence, add in more process steps.

Starters are generally needed when you use liquid yeast, they lose cell counts as they age and unless you get it super fresh, they don’t have a high enough cell count for most beers. The other downside is liquid needs to be aerated.

That’s why when your starting out brewing beer, dry yeast is the best option. It has a consistently high cell counts and can tolerate low oxygen levels in the wort. Sometimes it can get frustrating if the first couple of batches turn out bad and it can cause a new brewer to give up. Brewing good beers right away can help you gain more confidence. Eventually you can try your hand at liquid yeast, all-grain, lagers, etc.

Measuring the starting and finishing gravity can help troubleshoot problems. Keeping notes during the brewing process will help as well.

Last edited:
You killed the first yeast but it becomes nutrients for the second pitch of yeast. So no big deal. The 33 oz bottles should be doable with a bottling wand. If you can find a height measurement of the bottle you can measure the wand and know for sure.
If you are using liquid yeast, starters are great. Better fermentation and healthier yeast. Dry yeast you can use without a starter.

Back