Malt list in the All Grain OG/FG calculator

Finn B

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've been a very happy user of this calculator, and a few of the others as well, for several years. But now the drop down list is a mess, more or less - mainly because the country names have disappeared. Seems a lot of new items have been added, which is great, but it's now a lot harder to find the right malt to add.

I do not need the recipe builder; I prefer to use single calculators. And I'm really happy that Brewersfriend's are available; I don't know what I'd do if they disappeared. And I suppose that this issue will be fixed - I just need to hear from someone in charge that it will be :).

In your general settings, you are allowed to turn that feature off-
Untitled.png

Thanks - but that had no effect :(. It seemed to have "no" as default setting, actually. I tried both options, and even remembered to click "apply". But it made no difference.

This is about the "All Grain OG, FG, ABV Calculator", not the complete recipe builde. Maybe you misunderstood that?

Last edited:
Now the malt is marked by country of origin:), but the calculator doesn't work:(. And there's a problem with the malt menus. They partially hide behind behind other parts of the graphics.

We've got the fix in beta- should be released ASAP!

Hey, that's great. I was looking at some other calculators, and was just about to start aquiring a depression. There's nothing I'd be really happy with but the one here :).

Hey, that's great. I was looking at some other calculators, and was just about to start aquiring a depression. There's nothing I'd be really happy with but the one here :).

It's been approved in beta, so just needing to get it through the last couple of hurdles.

As I'm the only one - apart from Yooper, of course - posting in this thread, I'm getting a bit curious: Am I the only one who is using this calculator (All Grain OG/FG) ? Are everybody else using the complete recipe builder?

As I'm the only one - apart from Yooper, of course - posting in this thread, I'm getting a bit curious: Am I the only one who is using this calculator (All Grain OG/FG) ? Are everybody else using the complete recipe builder?

Maybe not the only one using it- but one of the few. It's not used very often compared to the recipe builder.

The things in beta should be released later this week- it's a big release.

That's great:) - I'm about to embark on a brewing binge soon, and I'd feel a bit handicapped without this favourite tool of mine. Together with the IBU calculator it's about all I need. I have my own very simple system which I use for setting up my recipes and archiving them, so the recipe builder is really far too much.

Oh, and I always use the Gyle and Krausen Calculator when bottling, because I use wort for priming. So that's another one I can't do without. So i'm very thankful for the job you guys are doing here:).

It's back, and that's great. Thanks a lot:)!

Just one annoying detail: The drop down malt menus disappear behind the fields above and below, so they're hard to use.

It's back, and that's great. Thanks a lot:)!

Just one annoying detail: The drop down malt menus disappear behind the fields above and below, so they're hard to use.

I don't know what you mean- what is disappearing??

When you activate a window to select a malt, you don't get to see the whole window showing your alternatives. It disappears under the field above or below, so that - at worst - you just get to see a couple of lines. It sort of slides under those fields. It happens the other way round, too: You don't get to see the high attenuation alternative when you selct attenuation. It disappears under the malt selection part of the calculator.

You can still use the calculator, but it's a bit cumbersome.

I don't know what you mean- what is disappearing??

I hope I'm not too much of a pain in the ass, but what is happening in the All grain OG/FG calculator, is a problem in the SRM Grain Calculator - Color, too. So it seems it is a general problem with the calculators.

It's a real problem, too, because it means you can't go up and down in the menus. When you've scrolled down, you can't scroll back.

It wasn't like this before you started remaking the site, so it must be something that has happend along the way.

I hope I'm not too much of a pain in the ass, but what is happening in the All grain OG/FG calculator, is a problem in the SRM Grain Calculator - Color, too. So it seems it is a general problem with the calculators.

It's a real problem, too, because it means you can't go up and down in the menus. When you've scrolled down, you can't scroll back.

It wasn't like this before you started remaking the site, so it must be something that has happend along the way.

That isn’t happening to me on my iPad using Chrome- can you give us a screenshot, so I can open a ticket and show what’s going on so we can fix it?

That isn’t happening to me on my iPad using Chrome- can you give us a screenshot, so I can open a ticket and show what’s going on so we can fix it?
upload_2019-3-29_9-15-39.png

Here you can see it happening with the Yeast Alcohol Tolerance function.

The calculator seems to be composed of three blocks, the first being "Batch data", the second "kg Grain", and the third the part were you read the results. These blocks appear to be embedded in the greater field that constitutes the totality of the calculator. The problem then seems to be that the blocks do not float on top of the greater field, but rather are immersed in it. Thus, when a menu is activated and hits the boundary between the block and the greater field, the menu disappears behind the greater field.

I don't know if that's a helpful description. I'm totally ignorant about programming, so I'm just trying to tell what it looks like.

edit: I just tried using another browser (Edge) and that didn't help :(.

Last edited:
@Yooper Sorry to be badgering you, but is anything happening with the calculators? As they are now, they're rather cumbersome to use :(.

@Yooper Sorry to be badgering you, but is anything happening with the calculators? As they are now, they're rather cumbersome to use :(.

I cannot recreate, using my computer with windows 10, at up to 110% screenshot, nor on my iPad using chrome. Is it possible that it's your screensize?

I cannot recreate, using my computer with windows 10, at up to 110% screenshot, nor on my iPad using chrome. Is it possible that it's your screensize?

Thanks:). I'd given up, as it didn't - and stil doesn't - work with neither Firefox nor Edge. But now I got Chrome, and yeah!: IT WORKS!

I've got Windows 10, and keep it updated at all times, as I do with Firefox, too. So there is a problem of sorts - but whether it is with the browsers or with the program you're using, I can't say. Obviously there's noot perfect communcation between the two.

I'm no IT-expert, so I haven't got a clue about what "screensize" does. But I'll look into it:). Presumablly others may have the same problem, and it would be nice if I could find out what to do - apart from switching to Chrome.

Last edited:

Back