When the best time to add lactose and the vanilla to a milk stout?

Reaction score
I'm experimenting all

Want to try and make a chocolate orange and vanilla milk stout.
But when is the best time to add the dried orange peel, lactose and the vanilla during the brew?

Id add lactose pre boiled in a bit of water until clear add this to secondary with vanilla. I think ornge peel is added late in boil like 10 to go but havnt used it before so not 100% on that one

Id add lactose pre boiled in a bit of water until clear add this to secondary with vanilla. I think ornge peel is added late in boil like 10 to go but havnt used it before so not 100% on that one

Thanks, So I was thinking add the orange 10 mins before the end of my boil, and the lactose and vanilla in the 2nd stage ferment? you agree.? As I've read some people add the lactose and vanilla at the end of the wort boil? hmmm confused...

I did an orange creamsicle ale recently, lactose and orange zest last 10 minutes or so, then a lot of zest for dry hopping, both during and after fermentation
I added vanilla and more zest as a tincture to the keg. I'd keep vanilla out of the boil since you'll lose a lot of the flavor and aroma

vanilla post-fermentation for sure. whether in keg or secondary. yeast activity will strip off your vanilla aroma. same with the boil. too expensive for that to happen. i've had good luck with zests in the boil as the boil releases the oils similar to the hops and the citrus does carry through the fermentation. zesting in secondary will bolster the aroma. basically, i've started treating zests as a late addition and dry hop.

You've got options here but if I'm experimenting with a new recipe I like to add as many of the flavors as I can at the time of packaging up my brew so I can taste it as I add it until I get the flavors I think I want. If it were me I would add vanilla extract, lactose dissolved in water, and a tincture of orange zest and vodka I had made 1 week+ prior individually to my bottling bucket at the minimum I expected to use. Taste. Then add more of what you think isn't coming through strongly enough. It's still not an exact science as it will taste a little different once it's cold and carbonated but it will give you a little more control than just a shot in the dark.

Good luck!

Back