What’s in Your Inventory?

hundel

Trial Member
Reaction score
I’ll start. I am a long time 5 gallon all-grain brew in bag brewer in Boston. I brew weekly, and almost exclusively from what I have on hand. Eager to compare notes and update grains/suppliers. On any given day I can count on my cellar to hold:

Malts:

US 2 Row (Briess) @ 50 lbs
Marris Otter (Warminster Floor Malted) @ 50 lbs
German Vienna Malt 50 lbs
Biscuit 5 lbs
Victory (Breiss) 1 lb
German Wheat 10 lbs
Caramunich 40L 10 lbs
Caramunich 60L 10 lbs
Special B (Dingeman’s) 1 lb
Amber (Muntons) 1 lb
Chocolate (Muntons) 1 lb
Roast Barley (Breiss) 5 lbs

Hops:

Magnum 1 lb
Centennial 1 lb
Cascade 1 lb
Fuggles 1 lb

Yeast:

Nottingham (Lalleland) 12
Fermentis US Safeale 05 12

Other:

Whirfloc (20)

Last edited:
Uhh.. I keep 20 gallon totes of
2-row
Marris Otter
Pilsner
Wheat
Munich

I keep 5 gallon totes of
Vienna
Flaked oats
Crystal 60
Biscuit

I have miscellaneous jars for the rest

I buy hops by the pound so right now I have some amount of
Fuggle
Centennial
Cascade
Tettnang
East Kent
Green Bullet
Warrior
Citra
CTZ
Hallertau

For yeast I have banked and fridged stuff
I mainly use right now
Denny's Favourite 50
Wyeast Munich Lager
White Labs Belgian Saison 2
Omega Labs Voss Kveik

I have some dry packs for emergency
BRY-97
US-04
Some wheat beer yeast

Wow. You could do almost anything. Reminds me of what I don’t do often but like and should do more of. Also that I need to explore more yeasts.

I have a bunch of grains I haven't used in quite a while because I've been focusing on simpler stuff. I picked up a couple heavy duty shelves from Costco which helped organize me a lot.

9f7uPUG.jpg

Yeasts:
2 BRY-97
1 Empire Ale
1 Liberty Bell Ale
1 New World Strong Ale
2 Nottingham
3 US-05
2 W-34/70

Hops:
454g Belma
436g Cascade
1634g Centennial
908g Chinook
663g Cluster
633 g Magnum
454g Northern Brewer
346g Willamette

Grain:
41.25# Crisp Maris Otter
8 oz. British Amber
2# Belgian Munich
1# C-15
1# C-40
2# German Vienna
2# Briess Rye Malt

6 gallons apple juice for cider.

Oh sure, you actually know what your inventory numbers are.

I just did a physical after my last brew, so I know it's real close.

I know I got some of this and some of that. I need a better method for storing hops than in a pile in the freezer.

I just started using vacuum sealed quart Mason jars. Sure makes it easy to organize and come close when estimation hop amounts. Once you know the weight of a jar it's pretty easy to get within a few grams. When I open a one pound bag it goes into a jar along with the label from the bag. Also saves on the cost of Food Saver bags. Those things get expensive.

I’ll start. I am a long time 5 gallon all-grain brew in bag brewer in Boston. I brew weekly, and almost exclusively from what I have on hand. Eager to compare notes and update grains/suppliers. On any given day I can count on my cellar to hold:

Malts:

US 2 Row (Briess) @ 50 lbs
Marris Otter (Warminster Floor Malted) @ 50 lbs
German Vienna Malt 50 lbs
Biscuit 5 lbs
Victory (Breiss) 1 lb
German Wheat 10 lbs
Caramunich 40L 10 lbs
Caramunich 60L 10 lbs
Special B (Dingeman’s) 1 lb
Amber (Muntons) 1 lb
Chocolate (Muntons) 1 lb
Roast Barley (Breiss) 5 lbs

Hops:

Magnum 1 lb
Centennial 1 lb
Cascade 1 lb
Fuggles 1 lb

Yeast:

Nottingham (Lalleland) 12
Fermentis US Safeale 05 12

Other:

Whirfloc (20)

I think I have been in homebrew shops that carried less inventory. I'm feeling a little stock envy.

I just started using vacuum sealed quart Mason jars. Sure makes it easy to organize and come close when estimation hop amounts. Once you know the weight of a jar it's pretty easy to get within a few grams. When I open a one pound bag it goes into a jar along with the label from the bag. Also saves on the cost of Food Saver bags. Those things get expensive.
+1. I note the weight of my containers so I can just weigh the whole thing. Much easier than pouring the contents out to weigh them. And with the hops I don't have to break the vacuum seal to weigh.

I never thought of that. I have a bunch of 1L mason jars, I wonder how much they hold.

A quart holds just over a pound (454 grams) I'm sure a liter would fit 500g.

Nice, yeah that should do it then. I may have to go that way, I can't necessarily vaccum seal them but based on the Brulosophy stuff I've read the cold is more important than the vacuum anyway.

Short term I'm sure it's fine. I only use vacuum because I have the setup. Once I open a pound bag it doesn't take long to use it.

Nice, yeah that should do it then. I may have to go that way, I can't necessarily vaccum seal them but based on the Brulosophy stuff I've read the cold is more important than the vacuum anyway.
The link at the end of this post shows the method I use to vacuum seal my hops in mason jars. I already had the pump so the cost to me was basically $0, if you don't already have the pump they can be found for a few dollars.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/vacuum-packed-hops.7787/#post-50425

I have a pretty decent vacuum sealer. It might do those but not sure. That looks a lot easier to manage.

I take a pound of hops and divide into 1 ounce vacuum sealed bags, I have to create my own bag size from a roll, time consuming but it works, then I only design my recipe to use whole ounces so I just cut the bags right when adding to the boil kettle

I was doing 2oz(well 60 gram) bags but that proved to be somewhat unwieldy.

Back